Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a rebuilt 200r4 tranny cheap and want to swap out my TH350 for the overdrive.
Are there alot of modifications (x-member, driveshaft length, etc). I've read about
the 700r4 swaps but nothing on the 200r4.

Is this a worthwill swap ? I know the Monte
& Gran Nationals used the 200r4.

Any help...thanks

·
Registered
715 Posts
You'll need a TH400 cross member and probably need some mods done to it to get it performance worthy. I would call TCI, they say it is as strong as a 700. This is a swap I intend to do as well when I get the $$$.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
Driveshaft length, yoke, and trans mount are the same as a TH350. As was said above use the TH400 crossmember. Shiftworks (www.shiftworks.com) makes a different gate to use the stock Camaro floor shifter. The stock shifter will work but you don't get low gear manually. Holley makes a nice bracket for the throttle valve cable hook-up if you're running a Holley four barrel; can work with Edelbrock and Demon carbs with minor mods. (Holley part #20-95, about $18.)
Easy and worthwhile swap, I have one in a 72.

Jody

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, This is a popular idea for chevy guys for a number of reasons, there just as strong as a th-400 and have the same first gear a th-400 has. All this and an overdrive too! get the CHEVY HIGH PERFORMANCE JANUARY 2000 ISSUE. It has an article titled SWAP INTO OVERDRIVE, EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT TRANS SWAPS. It features the TH-200R swap along with others. Well worth getting this article. Let me know how it turns out! goodluck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info...2004r it is...cool

2100 rpm's sounds better than 3000 rpm's at
65 mph.

I'll keep ya posted...thanks again

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can purchase a 2:45 low for them but the 2004r has a 2:77 low STOCK. 1.62 second 1:1 third and .67 overdrive or 33%.
400 has a 2:48 first 1:48 second and a 1:1 third.
WE4
Bruce

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE HAVE THE 2004R PARTS!"
WE4 on IRC and chat
[email protected]
www.2004rperformancecenter.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts