Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start I just wanted to say I tried to do as much research as possible before posting this.
Also, I understand that Flynbye has horrible customer service and is very slow at shipping.

That being said I'm trying to convert the front and rear of my car to Brembo brakes off a 2010-2015 Camaro SS. My Camaro has front discs and a drum brake 8.5 10 bolt rear end. I'm not sure if the front discs are stock but I do believe the spindle is stock. I would like to go with a modern disc brake setup so I have a separate rotor and hub. This has been done before and there are a few parts out there for it but I can't find any complete kits. I have a few questions so I'm just going to list them below.
1. Will any 69 Camaro 2" drop spindle work with a big brake conversion? I feel like it would but just in case someone has some experience I wanted to ask.
2. All I should need is the Brembo SS brake upgrade bracket, the Flynbye Hubs, and the rear end brake bracket?

Let me know if anyone has done this before and who you went through for parts, please! I really would like to not have to wait over a month for these parts from flynbye.

If this works I'll try to make a complete build thread on converting the brakes since from what I understand this can be done for under $2000. Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nothing I can help with. Lots of threads and info on putting Gen4 LS1 brakes on a 69, can be done for a lot less than $2k. Not as pretty as Brembo but relatively modern and parts are cheap. With Gen V car having IRS I’m thinking this might be more challenging than a bolt in job.

Good luck and post pictures if you go forward with the this, always good to see new brake options.

·
Registered
51 Posts
look into Kore. pretty sure he has brackets to do what you want to do.
also alot of people say not to use drop spindles on 1st gens. do a search on here for that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
look into Kore. pretty sure he has brackets to do what you want to do.
also alot of people say not to use drop spindles on 1st gens. do a search on here for that.
The drop spindle concern is issue due to fitment issues with stock sized wheels. Larger wheels, 17" and larger should not have any problems.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Why those big brakes? What type of driving are you doing? I replaced the entire brake system with stock components and ceramic pads and then we ran 2 cars side by side and slammed on the brakes. . . . . . . . 5 feet difference from 60 to the big expensive brake system. Guys spend, in many cases, more money on upgrades that have little to no real advantage in normal driving. When modifing it leads to more mods to compensate the first one! JMO

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I might add that this was 2 guys running there cars and the test was not official by any means and 5 feet could make a big difference in a situation. Have fun and enjoy your ride. I would look at Brembo or Willwood for your upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts