Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The 20W/O/PPL means it is a 20 gauge White, Orange, Purple wire. I'm more familiar with the Chevy II Novas but on these in 67 this wire was a resistance type of wire feeding the coil and they didn't use the clay style ballast resistors.

Just wondering, why are you asking this question ?.

Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim thanks for your post the reason why ask is that the way the car is wired there is no ballast resistor which was original equipment there's outline of paint on the firewall that indicates it was there .
I put a Procomp distributor in & ran it for a few hundred miles and the under the cap Is a mess so I'm trying to trace the original wiring so I can add the resistor because I change my stock distributor and removed the points and condenser using The Malory Espark module in place.

Mike

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I would do a search but I had to rewire a buddies 72 Nova earlier this year as he had smoked the resistor wire between the bulkhead connector and the spot it shorted on a cutoff bracket arm on the column and I replaced it for him.
I had the right sized packard connector to go into the bulkhead connector and to get the old one out, you have to take apart the bulkhead connector and then bend in a release tab on that particular connector in the bulkhead connector plug and then pull the factory resistance wire and the connector out. Then with a new wire and the new packard terminal crimped to the wire and soldered, you push it back into the slot the original wire came out of until it clips and locks in. You may have to make a note as it may need to go in one way so watch how the old one is when it gets removed.
You then have to reassemble the bulkhead connector against the firewall. You can then route the new wire to where it needs to be for your new ignition system.
I'll look for some pictures of the bulkhead packard connectors and will pot back if I find anything.

Thanks for the compliments on the youtube stuff. I also have a bunch of pictures in my flickr account also.

Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Jim,
I was able to find the original wire that lead to the resistor, it was cut and taped inside the harness.
They had a "hot wire" from the fuse block direct to the coil, that is now removed & original wire re-terminated & ready to go. If you do find some pic would be great to see how you yourself did your buddies '72.
I won't know until I try to start & run mine if there was a reason why the wire had been cut.
No power to wire when key off but power when key turned on & at the start position. So far so good.

Mike

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks again Jim,
I was able to find the original wire that lead to the resistor, it was cut and taped inside the harness.
They had a "hot wire" from the fuse block direct to the coil, that is now removed & original wire re-terminated & ready to go. If you do find some pic would be great to see how you yourself did your buddies '72.
I won't know until I try to start & run mine if there was a reason why the wire had been cut.
No power to wire when key off but power when key turned on & at the start position. So far so good.

Mike
I was going to link to a thread in Stevesnovasite.com in the electrical area but the pictures are no longer there. I posted about it and the person that started the info said the host cancelled his free account so he is working on getting the pictures on another site but he said it might be a few days.

Here's the link to the thread if you want to monitor it to see when he gets the info back up (the first page that Big Al may update):

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157612

And maybe he will post after his last bit of info he had here:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4519306#post4519306

I'll look around for pictures I have but I wonder with a google search if someone with Chevelle might have done this, or some other model.

I'm pretty sure in the below photo, the terminal marked "A" is what is on the 67-up Camaro as well as on my 68 Nova. The little end of the hooked tab needs to be bent in as this is the part that once the connector is pushed into the housing it clips and lock it in place:

I also found this that I posted:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22842&d=1328752065

This is for a Firebird but you can see the junk the factory installed in the connector to help seal it. This is the engine side of the connector which will be just like yours once you remove the bolt from the center of the plug (and it may not come all the way out as it might be a captive bolt to where you loosen it, pull back on the plug to unseat the connections, and then may have to unthread the bolt some more to get it totally free.

Here's some more info I contributed and had a picture of the bulkhead connector you need and then someone else added where you can get one (or a pack of 10).

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219280

Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U rock Jim!
Thanks for all the info & links.
It's of great help for me, I rather understand how it's supposed to work then figure out what the prior owner tried to do.
Sweet looking Nova. Looks to be much fun & quick.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts