Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 396-375hp motor in my 67 camaro and I've always use 10w30 in most of my cars. I have a little valve train noise and wanted to know it this thicker 20w50 will keep things a little less noisy? Plus I want to make sure that this will not cause any problems with my oil pressure. I know it will probably bring my pressure up. 70psi cold and 40psi warm at normal driving speeds. What is a bad PSI (high side).

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
20-50 would be better in a 375HP motor. They are usually set up with a little more bearing clearence than a low perf. motor Actually 40psi might be a little low for hot and running. Try the 20-50 before you get to worried.

·
Registered
389 Posts
How about MOBIL1 10W30 in a 300hp 327?
Does that sound right or should I go to 20W50 MOBIL1?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Oil is Oil is Oil - as long as it's a brand-name and meets API specs, all your engine cares about is that the oil is clean, and reasonably fresh. If you run it hard all the time, 20W50 may show a little more pressure than 10W30, but it doesn't matter much - if you've got 10 psi per 1000 rpm, you're fine. Compared to motor homes or trucks pulling trailers, our cars put very little demand on their oil, except in very short bursts. Few commodities spend more on meaningless marketing hype than motor oil peddlers.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 7 of 7 Posts