Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone is probably tired of these questions, but I am buying new tires for 15x7 rallys. I want to buy 225/60 15s all around, but will they rub in the front? Most posts that I've seen on these indicate no problems, but I have read a few that said there may be rubbing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You should be fine, most people don't start having issues until they go beyond 235/60/15, but then again, I just reread your question and noticed you had a 2" drop, maybe someone else will chime in.............KZ

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I was running 215/65/15's on the front of the '69 with a 2" drop on a 15x7 rally. The tire you're considering in a little shorter and only about 3/8" wider. I don't see where there should be any problems but....

If your dealing with a local tire shop I bet they'ed mount one and check it out for you.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
rojo said:
If your dealing with a local tire shop I bet they'ed mount one and check it out for you.
Bingo. Those are tires sizes I would expect to see on the shelf (215/65, 225/60, maybe not 235/60). I’m sure your local tire guy would mount some up for you to check before you order the ones you want. He might charge you some fee. I would have, but I would have also let you apply that $$ towards the new tires when you come in for them. So free unless you buy elsewhere. Try that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, I currently have four wheel drums on 14x6 rallys. I'm upgrading to 15x7 rallys so that I can convert the front brakes to disks. Do you think either configuration will cause rubbing?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have Hotchkis Springs on front of my 68 with 2" drop 235/60/15" cleared but now have new 215/65/15" cause I wanted a little taller tire but 225 should clear with no problem

·
Registered
722 Posts
newjob1975 said:
John, I currently have four wheel drums on 14x6 rallys. I'm upgrading to 15x7 rallys so that I can convert the front brakes to disks. Do you think either configuration will cause rubbing?
If you haven't bought the 15's yet, go with the 4.25" bs. At least for the fronts. You might also want to go with a beefier rear tire than the 225.

My '67 rally set up is 15 x 7's w/ 4" bs with '69 front discs and 2" lowered PST springs. Tires are 215/65 15's and I do get the occasional rub. I removed my top two inner fender well bolts and trimmed back my well molding which did help somewhat, but I'll still get it, and when it happens I HATE it!!! Beleive me, you don't want it. Out back I have 255/60's on a 15 x 7 w/4" bs and fitment is perfect (stock '67 w/ drums & mono leaf).

You can see my set up on the sticky in the Paint & body work section "How I painted my Camaro"

JD

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's another fun tidbit of information I just realized. My tires in the front seem to be rubbing on the outer tie rods at full turn. I thought that they were 14x6, but now I think they may be 14x7. The codes are K19 and XN.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't installed the new front springs yet. I currently have stock springs in the car, but I have Hotchkis 2" lowering springs and a front end rebuild kit are in my garage waiting for a weekend of motivation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts