Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I've finally decided which wheels, size and backspace to order.

The American racing "M" Anthracite looks good to me (pic below). I am going to order 4 ea 17 X 8 with 4.5" backspace.

Is 235/45/17 ok for the front tire or should I be more conservative and go with a 225/45/17 ? I'm going with 255/45/17 on the back.

Don't want to mess this up ! It's a 68 Camaro with a BBC engine ; stock suspension.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts

Excellent choice!

Anyway...

I went with 255/40-17 in the back on the 17x8 rim and 225/45-17 on the 17x7 rim up front. The fronts do slightly rub when the suspension is under compression. I had to go with button-head bolts as well. My front is lowered about 1.5" and rear is roughly the same (Due to sag alone... one day I'll fix that issue...).

All rubber is BF Goodrich G-Force.

Rear poke:

Front:

Ask away and I'll try to answer.

All that aside I love the rims and tires. The G-Force rubber sure does pick up a lot of gravel when driving, though. So much so I'm thinking about applying some of this to the rear fenders and just behind the front tires: http://www.armorall.com/product-types/custom-shield/ (clear of course)

The 255's in the back and 225's in the front look beefy and feel neutral in the corners when turning. It's the same tire sizes I had on my 1998 BMW M Roadster from the factory and, well, BMW knows what they're doing. I didn't set out to get that exact size but fell into it after doing my measurements, etc. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent choice!

Anyway...

I went with 255/40-17 in the back on the 17x8 rim and 225/45-17 on the 17x7 rim up front. The fronts do slightly rub when the suspension is under compression. I had to go with button-head bolts as well. My front is lowered about 1.5" and rear is roughly the same (Due to sag alone... one day I'll fix that issue...).

All rubber is BF Goodrich G-Force.

Ask away and I'll try to answer.

All that aside I love the rims and tires. The G-Force rubber sure does pick up a lot of gravel when driving, though. So much so I'm thinking about applying some of this to the rear fenders and just behind the front tires: http://www.armorall.com/product-types/custom-shield/ (clear of course)

The 255's in the back and 225's in the front look beefy and feel neutral in the corners when turning. It's the same tire sizes I had on my 1998 BMW M Roadster from the factory and, well, BMW knows what they're doing. I didn't set out to get that exact size but fell into it after doing my measurements, etc. Very happy with it.
How cool ! They look great on your car and to top it off, I had picked these tires (Goodrich sport-comp 2's) :
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=545WR7GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I think I'll stay conservative on the front and go with what you have( 225's )

Did you lower the front with lowering springs ? Which ones did you go with and how do you like the ride and handling ?

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Wise choice on the width. You can go wider on the next set if you want but fixing tires too wide now can be expensive.

as to lowering it: use a cutting wheel on a grinder. The springs are not progressive rate so cutting is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wise choice on the width. You can go wider on the next set if you want but fixing tires too wide now can be expensive.

as to lowering it: use a cutting wheel on a grinder. The springs are not progressive rate so cutting is perfectly fine.
Sounds good.

I didn't want to put 275's on the back for daily driving because they might rub a little. I'm planning on buying two drag radial 275's for the occasional run down the track.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received the first wheel today from Summit. Only $144 and it looks great.

I should have ordered these tires/wheels from the Tire Rack. They are slightly higher on the wheels and cheaper on the tires. But they include lug nuts, balancing and valve stems.

Total was right at $1100.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Anne, hope you don't mind but I am mimicking your setup...I looked at Gbauer's setup as car color is just like mine and liked it very much. Bought the setup from performance plus tires. Just wanted to say thanks and didn't think you would mind as we will not be at any shows together!

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anne, hope you don't mind but I am mimicking your setup...I looked at Gbauer's setup as car color is just like mine and liked it very much. Bought the setup from performance plus tires. Just wanted to say thanks and didn't think you would mind as we will not be at any shows together!

Thanks Steve
Don't mind at all ! Just confirms what I felt before; this is a great deal and they fit perfect !

Did the set you ordered come mounted and balanced ? I wish I had bought through Tire Rack because they mount/balance for free.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Don't mind at all ! Just confirms what I felt before; this is a great deal and they fit perfect !

Did the set you ordered come mounted and balanced ? I wish I had bought through Tire Rack because they mount/balance for free.
Mounted, balanced delivered to the door. all included....I added road hazard for $9/tire as the crap that ends up on the freeways here you never know.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who made the rear leaf drop springs ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts