Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 235/60r15 fit in front without issue? or would a 225 be better. My rim is a AR TT D 15in BS 3.75. I plan on running a squared setup for a driver. Im leaning toward the 225 i want a more stock look.

As always thanks for any input.

Dave

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the ride height also plays a part with wheel and tire combo. I have problems with my 15x7 225/60/15 AR torque thrust d's with 3.75 back spacing on my 68. With all new front suspension parts and 2 in lowering springs I had an undriveable rub on just the passenger side. The fender lip rubbed the outer tire on any dip and damaged the fender chrome slightly. Driver side wasn't too bad. I had to add spring spacers to get a little more height and get an alignment done (still not great need a different shop). So, Not all cars behave the same. If i had it to do over I would have 4.25 backspacing or stayed with stock ride height for the AR TTD's. So at least i would not suggest 235's on those rims.

·
Registered
67 rs
37 Posts
Will a 235/60r15 fit in front without issue? or would a 225 be better. My rim is a AR TT D 15in BS 3.75. I plan on running a squared setup for a driver. Im leaning toward the 225 i want a more stock look.

As always thanks for any input.

Dave
I decided on 225/60r15 for the front on my 67 and have been happy with them. Felt like 235 might might have worked but wasn‘t worth the risk for that little bit more.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What year also makes a difference, the 69's have a little more clearance I think.
I run a square 235 60 15 on Stock "FW" rallys with no rubbing issues at all.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Had stock 15x7 Rallye's, used 235 60's...minor rubbing on subframe at the rear of the frame. Happened on full turns into the garage, otherwise, no problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry its a 67 and the rim is a 15x7 with all new suspension stock spindles and 1in lower coil springs. This car is going to be a driver so it will sit around stock height. I considered some F60 wide oval radials but 400 a tire is a little steep. Sounds like the 235 is out and 225 would be the safer bet. I don't need to wide of tire cause im going for the stock look and stance.
Would a wide oval bias ply be out of the question for a driver. I have never drivin on one tbh.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Would a wide oval bias ply be out of the question for a driver. I have never drivin on one tbh.
If driving your car is what you plan to do, I think you should go with a radial tires instead of bias type. Will handle better and ride better. I feel as though a bias tire is best suited for a car being regularly shown or judged. Bias tires worked and held up pretty well back in the day but they tend to make the steering feel as though it wants to wonder around for some reason. At least that's the feeling I get when I have driven friends cars that they went "old - old" school. They have both now. Radials for everyday and a set of bias mounted on their factory rims for shows and such. I'm sure others will have thoughts concerning this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never drivin on them to know but i think the best tire may be the old bfg 225 or 215/60r15 for the best stock look.

Does anyone have any experience with the wide oval radial tires?

·
Registered
132 Posts
215/60R15 would be a little short, a 215/65 would be similar to stock height. And the 215 width is more likely to fit with your wheel offset of -6mm than 225. Ideally +6 to +8mm is best for centering the tire with disc brakes. Do you have disc brakes or drums? Discs move the wheel outboard more.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
The frontspace on a 7” wheel with 3.75 backspacing is the same as the frontspace an 8” wheel with 4.75” backspacing if I was able to do the gazintas correctly. That tells me you should probably not go wider than a 225 tire. 215 is a safer bet.

Make sure you are not using factory alignment specs. David Pozzi’s site has recommended alignment specs for radial tires etc. The negative camber will help reduce risk of rubbing on the fender.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts