Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Wheel Mount Mate finally arrived this week. That gave me the opportunity to test fit my 275/35/18s on all four corners. The Nitto NT01s look crazy! Good news, it all fits. I'll be calling Frank (GPSuperstore) on Monday to order my Forgelines 18x9.5 ZX3Ps in gunmetal. http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/zx3p.html

Once they arrive I'll be ready to rock and roll on the installation of the Speedtech UCA and LCAs, ATS tall spindles, Hotchkis front springs and bar and C5 brakes.

I forgot pictures of the front mockup, but that's a lot of rubber up there. Quite a bit more than the 225/50/16s up front now...

Rear shots... compare a 255/50/17 on the right...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would'nt be surprised if the inside of the tire rubs on the inner fenderwell in the front. You steering radius will most likely change . The backs look good.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The NT101's do indeed look crazy. I like em!

Could (and would) you use that fancy gizmo to check clearance and backspace with that rubber on an 8" rim?
When I wear out my 255's, I'm thinking of going up a size, if they'll fit with my 4.5" BS wheels.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can use the tool to check width from 7" up, pretty much any backspace. It'll be for rent once I figure out the details. The hardest part was to get the car jacked up with weight on the suspension...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah yes, but you all ready have the 275 profile tires and proper size wheelwells!
I needed some piece of mind before I ordered those wheels. If you buy tires from discounttiredirect.com you can send them back for just the price of return shipping. No shipping fee from them to you and no "restocking fee". Try it, don't fit, send it back for something else.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just a quick update. I called Frank at gpsuperstore this morning and ordered my Forgelines. Frank was very helpful, he even called Forgeline while I was on the phone with him to confirm a couple of details including the 4 week build time.
Thanks Frank! I'll post pics when I get them!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Eville, that is going to look wicked. Please post a couple pics once you've installed them. I'm now leaning toward a setup similar to this. What rear backspacing are you ordering?

Jim

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be sure to post pics. 3 weeks and counting on the wheels...
Rear backspacing for me was a little odd because I have a slightly narrowed rearend out of an early Nova. I'm afraid to post the numbers in fear of screwing someone up. If you really need 'em PM me.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Looks good! Im running 18x10's out back on mine with 275/40/18's and it is a TIGHT fit.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Eville-
Are you running the original wheel wells in the rear? or is it tubbed?

Looks awesome BTW!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Looks good! Im running 18x10's out back on mine with 275/40/18's and it is a TIGHT fit.
Is the 69 wheel well or suspension different than the 68? I've heard they are, and may allow a larger wheel/tire combo. I'd like to do an 18x10 in my 68 but want to verify it can work first. I presently run a 15x8 Weld with 28x12.5 MT ET Streets and they fit just fine. Any advice?

Jim

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eville-
Are you running the original wheel wells in the rear? or is it tubbed?

Looks awesome BTW!
Original wheel wells. I might have to roll the lip after final fitment. (i hope not)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Is the 69 wheel well or suspension different than the 68? I've heard they are, and may allow a larger wheel/tire combo. I'd like to do an 18x10 in my 68 but want to verify it can work first. I presently run a 15x8 Weld with 28x12.5 MT ET Streets and they fit just fine. Any advice?

Jim

They say a 69 has a bit more room than a 67-68 but I have not confirmed it. I really like the way the 275 BFG KD's look on the 10's. No puffy sidewalls at all. I think "streetfighter" on Pro touring.com is running 18x10's and 285/35/18's on his 68. With a 3" drop rear springs you will need rolled fender lips for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Steve,

I have a similar set up and I'm using a slightly narrowed Currie 9" (-1" per side). Would it be possible to get your back spacing and offset info? It will give me a place to start. If so please email me at [email protected]. I would appreciate any info! Thanks!

Jordan
73' RS 433ci BB, ProCharger, Global West Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Currie 9".....................

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since the cat's out of the bag over at PT.com I'll post it up here.
***DISCLAIMER*** I have a narrowed rearend in the car. DON'T buy wheels without measuring the clearances on YOUR car first.
On that note:
Stock 1st Gen Rear End Width should be: 60.25".
I have a rear out of an earlier Nova which is: 57.75"
So 2.5" narrower or 1.25" per side narrower.
The picture taken above is with a 4.25" bs on a 18x9.5" mock up.
Frank (gpsuperstore) talked me into an extra 0.25" bs so I ordered 4.5" BS. His logic was, we can always run a hubcentric spacer, but it's a pain to re-backspace the wheel. I think there'll be plenty of room with 4.5" BS and won't need a spacer.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
here is my 69. 3 inch drop leafs, currie 9 inch, 9.5 inch rear with 5.5 inch back space. 275-35-18 BFG drags. i have room for 10 inch wheels, but coys didnt offer them.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, good news and not so good news.
Good news is my Forgelines showed up yesterday and they look AWESOME!
The bad news is a 275/35/18 with the AFX tall spindle and a 6.2" BS won't work. I've got interference between the wheel and UCA when I turn the wheel the slightest bit. (Thinking taller spindle is the cause) Also, the outer tie rod and wheel interference is fairly significant even with the BAER Tracker Tie Rods, enough that I had to shim them with 11/16" of spacer to get minimum clearance. (Thinking drop type spindle for C5 hub)
As I see it, my options are:
1) rebackspace the wheels to make the 275 on a 9.5" wheel work, or
2) have the rim narrowed to 8 or 8.5 and run a 245.

I've decided to do option 2. Thanks goodness for 3 piece Forgelines.
I'm disappointed I'm giving up, but knowing what I know now, a 275 is a major undertaking and there are problems here I didn't expect.
So which would you run, an 8 or 8.5" for a 245/40/18 tire?

Here's some pics... I think the BS on the fronts is perfect and would hate to move them out 3/4" or more to clear everything.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If there is enough room I would go with the 8.5 wheel. What back space would you use 5.12"? Will that work? I'm sure you don't want to do this over more than once. I feel for you - the car looks great. It will look just as good with the 245s though. Can you take a picture of problem spots? I thought the 18" wheel had enough "hoop" in it to clear these issues. Would a 19" wheel solve this (an extra 1/2" of clearence). This info is "taking one for the team". Use what you have to make sure your next order is perfect. Sorry it didn't work out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts