Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My tire guy mounted these tires on my rims (15/8 with 4.5 BS) and let me take them home for a test fit. My first question is do you think they will rub? If so what are my options. Will multi leaf conversion help. I really like the 295/50. I also need to know what MT ET street will be comparable to these sizes. I asked my wife and she says she doesn't see the difference. We do though, right... Anyways, what do you guys think? Questions, comments?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I'm not sure i would drive it if they seem close! One bump and the quarter is done for. You could back out of the driveway at and angle and have someone watch the tires? It does look sharp with the 295's.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the 275/60/15's on my 68 and only had a rubbing issue when there was more than two people riding in it. You can roll the inner lip of the quarter using a wood baseball bat between the tire and the quarter. Have someone help push the car forward as you apply downward pressure to the end of the bat and let it roll with the tire.
A 275/60/15 equates to a L-60-15.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have a 68 and a MT ET Street 28x11.50-15 (not the drag radial) and its very close to the 275-60-15. I actually had better clearances with the MT. But the ride is much worse due to the soft sidewall. So it depends on what the cars purpose is. My buddy runs a 255-60 on his 69 and they are very close to rubbing. I would say your 275's are going to rub without trimming the lips and I do not reccomend that. Nothing looks better than having a nice tire and retaining that factory lip. Just my opinion! Do you have any room left on the inside of the tire? Possibly get a diiferent backspace on the rim?

·
Registered
392 Posts
every 69 camaro i have owned with the l-60 tires would rub if you hit a big bump or went up a driveway at a steep angle.so i put air shocks on my rides.if i used the g-60 15 they worked great no rubbing they are a inch narrower i think. the way they do these new tire sizes i don't understand them.in my day there was g-60 L-60 which were medium width then they were the n-50-15 m-50-15 which were the super wide big daddies that hung outside of the rear quarters & threw mud & water to the front of car.back then the wider the tire the cooler the ride.then came the pro street look.which i love but not near the handling & control as say the stock ride & wheels were.sorry about the long post i went to far down memory lane .getting bad about that.but at least i can remember something.oh you have a super nice ride.love the color & the looks of the wide tires

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Put the 275's on the back, and get 245's for the front. Do a search, tons of people have tried many different sizes. I think the 275's are max for the rear and 245's up front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts