Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> posted by golopogos,

Dennis, Did you ever figure out the rear tire issue? If not I can get some pics of mine and measure the backspacing this weekend. Once again 275/60/15 on monte carlo rally and 1/4
inch spacer. I know this is'nt the place to post but figured you would check back in on this post. Ryan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I had it all figured out but have been having second thoughts... I know I'm going with 15x8 5" back spacing. May require 1/4" spacer, no big!!

It's the tire size I'm stuck on. 275/60's will be an inch wider in the sidewall than 255/60's so I am leaning in the direction of the 255's. My 235/60's are 26.1" tall, the 255's are 27" tall and the 275's are 28" tall. With the 3.06 first gear (700r4) and my low rear gears the taller tire is a plus IMO (no traction as it is today) Just unsure what will actually fit in the wells without rubbing...

If you have some photos of a 275 on a '69 I would love to see them. Thanks for asking I will have the wheels in a week or so and do need to make up my mind...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dennis,

If memory serves me correctly, I think my Camaro has 275/60's on the rear. I have 8 inch wheels on the rear, but don't know the backspace. I haven't seen the car in about 9 months now, and won't be seeing it until mid-August when I return to the U.S. for good.

If it helps at all you can see the pictures here
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1416067&a=10590126

I'll take a look through some of my other pictures and see if I've got any better ones of the tires. I think I have one taken from the rear at about bumper level . I can scan it and e-mail it if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Detroit Speed's webpage has an FAQ section that talks a little about "what are the biggest tires I can fit under my first gen Camaro" www.detroitspeed.com

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hey Dennis, I tried 275's on mine and they rubbed, I went with 255's and they fit fine. You can see pics on my website. However, this was with "weak" mono springs, which I'm replacing with multi's in the near future. I bet with the new multi's you could fit 275's in there without a problem, maybe even 295's......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396 CLONE!
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice car(s) guys! jgreen your's looks a bit lifted all the way around. Mine is stock height and I don't want to roll the fender lip or raise the car. Think they will still fit?

Tim your's looks closer to stock height, did you roll the fender lip for clearence?

And boodle, thanks for the link. I checked and Tucker recomends, largest rears are 245/40/17's which is 24.7" tall, 9.8" tread width and 9.8" section width.. The 255/60/15's are 27.1" tall, 8.2" tread width and 10.2 section width. The 275/60/15's are 28" tall, 8.9" tread and section width is 11"...

The sidewall or section width is the part I worry about. I don't want to swap profile or run a shorter tire, my gears are low enough as it is. I'm still thinking the 255's so if you have more photos or advice keep them/it coming....

Thanks again,

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
722 Posts
In my opinion, I don't like the look of a tire that's wider than the wheel. I think the 275's will give that "donut" look when pinched down to an 8" wheel. I'd go with the 255's. I put 255's on my 7" wheels and have the same problem (from my picky visual perspective) I should have done the 245's!

JD

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just recently added HAL coilover front shocks and lowered the front end of my '69. I'm running 15x8 rallys w/4.25" back spacing all around. The fronts are 225/60-15 and they clear even with it lowered. The rears are 235/50-16 and with passengers in the rear they scrub the quarter on bumpy roads, I haven't trimmed anything on the quarter-don't really want to. How does anyone fit a 255/60 or larger without interference? http://www.jb.ngcsu.edu/rs350.htm

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JD - it's the nature of the beast with 60 series tires to some degree... Even the 235/60/15's have a 9.5" section width.

I really want to keep the period correct (factory not stink bug) look but with just a hint of performance. 1" shorter tire in the front and 1" taller in the rear would do it I think. Should still fill the wells up and the over all tilt to the front would be 1" over what it is now!!

KZ what's the combo front and rear in this shot?

Anyone run "Dunlop GT Qualifer's"? They are "T" rated (118mph) and the BFG's are "S" rated (112mph) The cost is about the same... Can you tell I've spent too much time on www.tirerack.com ? Keep the feedback flowing! Thanks again.....

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jbalch:
I just recently added HAL coilover front shocks and lowered the front end of my '69. I'm running 15x8 rallys w/4.25" back spacing all around. The fronts are 225/60-15 and they clear even with it lowered. The rears are 235/50-16 and with passengers in the rear they scrub the quarter on bumpy roads, I haven't trimmed anything on the quarter-don't really want to. How does anyone fit a 255/60 or larger without interference? http://www.jb.ngcsu.edu/rs350.htm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking at the shots on your site, I think the back of your car is lowered or your suspension tired.. Also with a 4" or 4 1/4" back spacing you're pushing 3/4" to 1" of the tire out toward the lip of the fender well. My current 235/60/15's on 15x7 4"bs have no problems at all.

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

·
Registered
370 Posts
DjD SORRY gas line came off my truck been out trying to fix it befor I go home pumping gas right on the header oh fun. No I did not roll the lip at all stock shocks I run my C/L when I am not showing the car Those stock tires are to much $$ to run all the time. Sorry I do not have any pic. of it with them on. Allmost every one here runs that setup.

TIM

·
Registered
40 Posts
DjD - The rear suspension hasn't been lowered, it's problem is that it's original and hasn't been rebuilt. I'm getting ready to switch to 15x8 rally's with 4.5" of bs and try dunlop sp8000's 245/50-15 rear and 245/50-15 front.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey DJD ~ I think the 255's will fit nicely. It seems like it is tough to make the 275's fit on a first gen without some rubbing or trouble. 245's may even be the way to go. It's funny about the donut look...I kinda like that
Different strokes...Good luck. New wheels too? ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jbalch - 50 series tires get you more tread width with less section width. Too bad you can't find them in taller sizes. The Dunlops you want are 24.7" tall 9.6" section with 9.1" tread... If your running higher rear gears this should help. With your 3.31:1 rear gear the 26" tire will get you going 117mph @ 5000rpm switching to 24.7" tires will drop your speed to 111mph @ 5000rpm. Width is important but so is how tall the tire is...

John (John68rs) - it's a 60's thing! I like the pro-tour look but I am hooked on period correct
Maybe we could start a pro-classic or classic-touring for those of us that are building to drive but wanting to keep the factory look...
------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dennis,

As far as I could tell, when I crwled under the car and checked (this was last June btw) it has not been "intentionally" lifted. I think it may just be a case of very new, and very stiff springs. I'm not fond of the stance on the car as it sits right now either. When I get back in August I'm going to try and drop it down some. If I have to I'll cut a half coil or so off the front springs, and then maybe put some lowering blocks in the back. Then, as you mentioned, I'm not so sure the rear tires that are on it now will fit.

I need to check the backspacing on those rear wheels too. I have been debating putting on the 15x7 SS396 style wheels, going aftermarket, or just going all out with the pro-touring look ala the "Twister".

I'll be just down the road from Kyle Tucker's Detroit Speed & Engineering, so maybe if I can afford it, I'll investigate what they can do.

·
Retired
26,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Some great high perf tires that also have a cool tread pattern (I am biased because I use them on my Camaro) are the Firestone Firehawks. They are Z speed rated and are patterned after the teams wet weather circle track tire. They also happen to be a little less expensive than most of the other Z rated tires. I think they come in sizes 15'' and up, but my rims are 16''.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got some pics today but havent got them developed yet maybe tomorow? I will get them up as soon as possible for you but didn't get my b/s measured but could if you decide you need it. The weather was just to nice to tear it apart today after a long winter in the rust belt. Had to drive it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts