Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone ID these heads for me? The number is 3773013. I'm looking for valve size, horsepower, etc. I pulled them off a 283 # 3849852.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry, can't find a listing for those heads 283 or otherwise. I did, however, find that block number...afraid it doesn't appear to be anything special. It shows for anything from '58-'67 283 for passenger car or truck. Because there's a seperate listing (different #) for 327s of the same vintage, I'm gonna GUESS it's just a plain ol' 283, not one of those cool blocks that came from the factory clearanced for either a 283 or 327 crank. Again, sorry that's all I got, and my best assessment. I'm sure there's someone out there with some better information available.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Check under the bottom of the cylinders up where the crank throws spin.
hleining,

The bottom of the cylinders will be radiused if your block is a late 283 that can be bored up to .155".

A 327 crank should fit, (but check it by installing and spinning) and also the starting point for a Z-28 type engine, otherwise, if flat in this area, just a 283 block.
By the way, 283's never used any valves bigger then 1.72"/1.50" regardless of hp. This is neat!!

Hope this helps. pdq67

·
Registered
144 Posts
You don't happen to have access to that block do you? 'Cuz he's right it COULD be the starting point for a small journal Z/28 style engine. If memory serves me...ALL 283 cranks were forged!?! An overbore could get you to around 5 liters. But it'd be a high winding beast...not particularly suitable for street use, and it could be argued that there are better ways to spend your money if you're looking for power. Still again, it could be a fun project, and certainly a conversation piece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts