Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there actually swapped a 292 into a first gen Camaro? I've searched the archives here and elsewhere and I have not seen or heard of anyone doing it (other than dedicated drag cars with extensive hood modifications).

I did some preliminary measurements and it looks like the motor itself will fit, but the clearance between the carb and hood is REALLY tight. Side drafts would probably resolve that, but I wasn't planning on spending that kind of cash on this project.

I was going to rebuild my 250 and thought a bored 292 might be a quick and cheap way to increase engine size 20%. I'd like to hear other's experiences with this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
918 Posts
LOUIE if my memory serves me well i remember the 292 /6 cyl as a truck motor late 60s early 70s. We had a Chevy tow truck w /that eng and a plow 4x4 pick up same eng. I believe the diference is the stroke all else is the same the head and piston is the same bore as a 250 maybe some of the pickup guy,s should chime in. Personally i would eighter keep and redo the 250 or bite the bullet and go v/8. Incidently in my youth i had probably a half dozen 292 chevy,s of diferent power levels. They were 60 overbored 283,s good peppy motor in it,s day until the 327,s became plentifull i n the bone yards ALEX:D:beers:

·
Registered
285 Posts
if you go to clifford performace they list headers and intakes for the 230-250-292 engines. i have no personel knowege other than mine started out as a 250 as is now a 427. being a chevy i would bet they interchange but if i am wrong sorry. might check at the nova site a lot more came a 6 cylinders and might have a better chance of that kind of swap. mark

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input Alex and Mark!

Let me clarify the strategy behind this madness. My 67 is a daily driver. My end goal is to put in a DSE subframe, Quadralink, and an LS engine. After crunching the numbers I realized that I can't pull this off until next year. The stock 250 is getting a little tired, so I figured I throw a few $k at it, make it reliable again, and buy myself some time. The 292 seemed like a natural because of the increased displacement and the long stroke = good useable low rpm torque.

I've done the research on the 292 itself and physically bolting it into the Camaro is not a big deal. The problem is that the block is about 2" taller than a 250. This obviously moves everything closer to the hood. I talked to the guys at R&R (Sissell's place) and they said that it could be done, but without an air cleaner on the carb. All the information that I've found on swaps has been focused on Novas and Chevelles, which can handle the 292's increased height with no problem.

I figured that someone out there has met this challenge and was looking for some guidance (remote air cleaner, panel filter, etc.). Hopefully the solution isn't putting an offset scoop/bulge on the hood!

Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts