Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a '70 Z-28 with a rather peculiar looking motor serial number. The number matched the cars Vin, as the owner claimed it was a number matching car. However the Script looked like it had been doctored, as the numbers appeared rather shallow and the Font did not look like they were stamped into the block, rather inscribed or engraved. What should a motor serial number look like, i.e. the style or size of Font that SHOULD be there? Any pictures available?

Also, this same car has the post '70 high back bucket seats. Any suggestions on where to swap/obtain the correct low back buckets with headrest?

·
Registered
496 Posts
All numbers should be stamped into the metal. Sometimes they were not stamped as deep as they should be but there should be no signs of engraving at all.

------------------

·
Registered
252 Posts
Never seen anything but the standard stamped numbers on this pad. (I haven't seen everything though) The engine numbers are usually a little bolder and bigger than the VIN portion that sometimes is even stamped through the engine numbers. On the bell housing flange next to the oil filter there may be the VIN numbers also stamped in. Hard to see these sometimes since they are in the rough casting area. Look on the edge of the flange. These engines are pretty rare these days as they were abused, very high performance, and not all that strong when abused. Wouldn't be surprised if is not original.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The seats for the 70 are hard to get. They were available in that year alone. I bought a parts car just to get the seats. Keep checking the swapmeets in your area. I personally go to the swapmeets in California and have not had any luck finding them. Tons of the high backs and 67-69's.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28

1 - 5 of 5 Posts