Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 1973 Camaro with 2" dropped spindles. I am going back to original, got used 1973 spindles. Old size inner wheel bearing is too small. Parts store doesn't know what to do. Are there 2 different spindles? Please help me get inner wheel bearings

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
There are three different front steering knuckles that differed by wheel bearing size and the ball joint stud size due to changes made to the second gen front end almost every year up until it stabilized in 1985. Can not recall the exact changes by year but it is well documented. Parts guy at Chevy Service department can clear it up and sell you quality bearings to fit your spindle.

Most machine shops can enlarge the ball joint stud hole (ream it to the correct size: BUT they can not make the hole smaller. That requires new ball joints.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
You need a new parts store. The standard listing for a 73 Camaro with a v8 calls for an A2 outer and an A6 inner. The inner stays the same thru 81 but the outer switches to an A3. Grab a caliper and take some measurements of the spindle diameter and the rotor. It should be fairly simple to match the correct bearing to you application. It was a whole lot easier when the parts stores had books. You might have better luck at a bearing place if you have one near by.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts