Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drained about 6 gallons of 3.5 year old VP out of the tank of my 68 SS/RS. I had hurt the car out at the track in March of 2006 and it has been sitting ever since. The gas still smells good (love that race gas smell:eek:) and I am considering dumping it into my 69 Z. What do you guys think? Think it might still be good? Or should I just dump it?

Thanks in advance,
:beers:

·
Registered
827 Posts
i had 10 yr old race gas in a 55 gallon drum, wondered the same thing. smelled good pumped some into a bowl burned good. put it in my 68z smelled great and ran better, i say go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
If the gas was still in the original sealed container it would be fine. Since it has been sitting in the fuel tank of your car for 3-1/2 years, just use it in your lawn mower or similar device.

·
19,802 Posts
I'd mix it with some good gas and try it.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Yep, try it. Toss a small amount on a gravel patch and light it. It should go 'Voom'. If that's not clear, compare to known good gas. But if it smells good, I'd run it in my 69. Also, my car sat for 3.5 years while I was rebuilding our sailboat. Turned the key, let the FI pump prime and it fired instantly and ran perfectly. If it smells good I'm sure it is good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree, if it still smells good use it. I took a whiff of mine today and it still smells like the day I put it in the tank ( 4 months ago). If you're not sure you can always put it in a container and put the fuel line inlet in the container and see how it runs. Without dumping the entire fuel in the tank.:thumbsup: I bet the 302 will love it! Heck, with the price of racing fuel these days, it's worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Why then do we put fuel stabilizers in our gas tanks for the winter ?
So the stabilizer companies can make a living.:yes: Just look at the bottled water industry.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I think I may put a little in the lawn mower and it it fires up then I will dump the rest in the Z.

Thanks Again,

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Why then do we put fuel stabilizers in our gas tanks for the winter ?
Because race fuel is $9.00 a gallon here and Stabil is 3.25 to treat 25 gallons :)

I actually just got some 100 Octane AV Fuel and mixed it 100 Race Fuel for the winter. I put 4 gallons of each in then 4 gallons of 94 octane Sunoco and just add more as needed. If the weather is above 60...I take the car out otherwise I just pull it out of the garage and let it run a while.

Kev

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I may put a little in the lawn mower and it it fires up then I will dump the rest in the Z.

Thanks Again,
The lawn mower may not run very well with 110 octane. They're designed to run on 87. If it runs crappy, it's probably not because the gas is bad.

I agree with the previous statement about the 6 month old regular gas. Race gas is more stable and has a longer 'shelf life' than regular pump gas.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I doubt you are in a climate where the temperature gets very cold. Typically you get condensation on the temperature fluctuations on the steel tanks and the moisture condenses and drips into the gas. Constant temperatures are less likely to this. I would go ahead and use it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The lawn mower may not run very well with 110 octane. They're designed to run on 87. If it runs crappy, it's probably not because the gas is bad.

I agree with the previous statement about the 6 month old regular gas. Race gas is more stable and has a longer 'shelf life' than regular pump gas.

Mark
Most people don't understand octane. They hear race fuel and equate that to more HP. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm glad Mark pointed out that the lawn mower will not run well on 110 octane.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys,
the main reason I said I would dump in the lawn mover is, it's tank is easier to drain if the gas is no good. I dont expect my lawn mower or my bone stock 69 Z to run 9.90's with a splash of VP in them. ;) It's just with the cost of this stuff, I just hate to through it out.:eek:

Thanks again everyone,

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That's assuming his Z28 needs race gas. If he's running pump gas compression it could run just as crappy as the lawn mower. My understanding is fuel loses some octane overtime and energy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts