Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Richmond 3.55 w/Eaton Posi unit to replace the factory 2.56 open (car came w/Glide , now has M21)

All the difference in the world in "around town" driving. Scoots off the line great and runs at the base powerband @ 35 in 3rd. Gets on the pipe and pulls hard with about 500-700 more RPM (or at 40mph) from a rolling 30-33mph.
(mostly from the cam , but from a gear standpoint)

Runs about 3200 on the highway at about 70 (speedo not ironed out yet ,but paced by another car on the highway). Not too bad on the revs , I and it can definately live on the highway.

I almost bought the 3.73 , glad I didn't , but that's only because I plan on long trips with the Vintage A/C cranking. I think the 3.73 would be neat , but not for me right now. But , if it was a 200 mile day-tripper , or mostly in town , the 3.73 wouldn't be out of the question at all. I had a 3.90 / Muncie car a few years ago and it wasn't very pleasant on the highway , but great in town (gas sucker , but aren't they all ?)

So in my opinion , depending on your displacement , cam & highway needs , the 3.55 is just about the perfect all around gear. I'm happy with it anyway , made a hot rod out of my slug.

(*also keep in mind this is a small block A/C convertible in full RS trim , so it's a tank , base cars & stripper big block coupes would see a far greater benefit)

(3 DUDE give me a call or email me if you see this , about JVille)

Brian

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I also like my 3.55's. But I'm running 3100 RPM at 60 mph with 26" tall tires. How tall are your tires?

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 12.2's and never trailered.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey Brian I've got to wash the mud off the race car from last nite then I'll stop by.
Mike

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I really like my 12 bolts stock 3.31 gears.

Just put tall narrow tires on for trips and gas mileage, then short wide ones on for having tire smoking fun.

I try ta build my engines for torque so I can power the car down the quarter!! That way, it's not as hard on parts b/c I'm not winding the sh-t outta it. pdq67

1 - 4 of 4 Posts