Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Yes you will gain more rear wheel horsepower which is why drag cars run uncapped (the "muffler" that Pro Stock cars use is a four inch piece of pipe six inches long wrapped on the out side with fiberglass and a manufacture's decal slapped on it with the word muffler so people will know they tried to comply with the muffler rule).

However it will not pass the decimeter restrictions on some tracks. By the same token many states have adopted California's law on noise emissions from vehicles (mostly to curb loud stereo's in kids cars). In Florida where every one carries a concealed weapon the citizens just shoot and kill kids with loud cars.

Florida adopted the Calf. law that requires two passes by a decimeter set a fixed distance from the road way with the set decimeter on top of a tripod five feet off the ground. The two passes have to be at 15-20 mph and again at 45-60 mph to include truck tire noise in the statute. The odds of a cop having the equipment in his trunk and the time to set up the test is nil; so anybody in this state can drive a top fueler on the street and a cop can't say it is too loud with out the test as defined by law, hence it is totally unenforceable, and citizens shoot offending kids with thumping stereos in "self defense".

Will you gain enough horse power to feel it in the seat of your pants, no! Will you gain enough horsepower to justify the expense, in my opinion no. And you have to ask yourself will you miss being able to talk to your wife or friends in your Camaro with the louder three inch pipes and "mufflers"?

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I have a 505cid with 3" exhaust and it isnt at all excessively loud. It actually sounds really nice. And Im an old fart who hates loud, droning exhaust!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
It will definitely make more power. Add an X pipe and a different muffler (I like Magnaflows) and it will be pretty reasonable.
I have 3 1/2" to 3" reduced at the X pipe and Magnaflows then turn downs at the axle and it's not bad at all, no drone and pretty mellow until you hit the throttle.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sean has it right ... add an X pipe, get rid of the Flowmasters and add a set of Magnaflows
NO droning, loud when you get on it, but quiet when cruising

Steve

·
19,864 Posts
HP ??? no clue, never dyno'd

2.5" American Thunder system in my 68....been 11.30's more than once.

Kept being told my exhaust was too small....dropped mufflers back running just the H-pipe....less than a tenth difference.

Was told that wasn't a real test....dropped the whole system from the headers back...went just over a tenth faster (best guess was due to weight).

Wasn't worth the noise for that little increase. IMO :eek:

·
Registered
209 Posts
3" exhaust will definitely help a BBC breath over 2.5". I'm running a 10:1 compression 383 stroked SBC with 3" tubes from the headers back. At first I was running 40 series Flowmasters and they were just a tad loud for my taste. I switched to 50 series Flowmasters and it is just right. I have to say mufflers are a personal preference. I personally don't like the sound of Magnaflow mufflers.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
3" exhaust will definitely help a BBC breath over 2.5". I'm running a 10:1 compression 383 stroked SBC with 3" tubes from the headers back. At first I was running 40 series Flowmasters and they were just a tad loud for my taste. I switched to 50 series Flowmasters and it is just right. I have to say mufflers are a personal preference. I personally don't like the sound of Magnaflow mufflers.
:D neither do I.
I happen to have 2 polished stainless steel
magna flow that only have 15 miles on them. if some one is interested e mail me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts