Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot make up my mind. I just installed a 500hp BB. At the moment I have a 2 1/2 inch exaust system, and was going to get a 3 inch system with new mufflers. This will cost me about $400 out the door, plus the cost of the mufflers I bring. I'm starting to think this 3 inch system is over rated, and I should just keep the 2 1/2 inch system I have on their now and save some money. This way I can do other things on the car that need to be done.

Their is nothing wrong with the system I have now, and noise I like, does not bother me.

Am I loosing a lot of horsepower with a 2 1/2 inch system.

What's the opinion poll, 2 1/2 or three inch.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
You would probably gain more power from a professional tuning than from the switch to 3" exhaust. If your 2-1/2" system is mandrel bent, then you should be in good shape. You might be losing a couple of hp in the upper rpm range, but unless you're racing on a regular basis, you won't notice it. You're probably better off spending the money on a dyno tune which could uncover a lot more missing hp.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I agree with Jeff. I am running small tube headers with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe on my 500hp supercharged small block.

Take your car to Team Dynotech in Garland and tune it on their chassis dyno. It will cost $100 or so for a couple of hours and you will be glad you spent the $$. I got 10 hp (while tuning for the unblown baseline) from a simple jet change.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definately agree with the other two posts. Spend the money on tuning the motor and also the suspension. You can get a lot more bang for your buck by tuning the engine on a dyno. But also you can see considerable gains by tuning your suspension to go along with all that new power. Remember, power aint worth nothing unless you can put it to the pavement.Just my two cents Good Luck

·
Registered
755 Posts
When Mark Stielow built that latest Thrasher Camaro he tried to fit a 3" system in all the way back. He couldn't get it over the axle so he dropped to 2-1/2" from the mufflers back. That seems like a waste to me. Maybe you could get 3" all the way with that FlowTech oval pipe?

However, I would agree with the other posts. 2-1/2" should be just fine for the street - if anything it may generate a little more low end torque which is not usually a bad thing. I'd save your money for tires!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rockymountain hit ut on the head from what I've been told by several reputable engine builders. You will gain hp at high rpms with 3" exhaust, but will lose some of the low rpm torque. I was considering the purchase of 3" setup awhile back but was told by everyone that unless I plan on doing all-out racing, the 3" is overkill.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, considering I have plenty of low end torque, it's already been dynoed and tuned to guys. It produced 512 hp and over 500 lbs. of torque from 2200 throught 6000. Thats a lot ot torque. So I'm okay on that deal. So maybe I should just get form the header back and dump the pipes right over the axle. kinda like a Nova.

I think I can sacrifice some low end torque.

Whatcha think????

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If you're set on a dual 3" system, check with Torque Tech and TA Performance, they both offer 3" mandrel bent dual exhaust that exit in the stock location. It's a little pricey, but if you've laready spent the $$$ on the motor, why skimp now? I've seen and hear the Torque Tech 3" with Dynomax Super Turbos on a 68 big block running the 11's and it looked great and sounded awesome.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should be able to find a place to do it for less than that. In addition to the extra torque, it sounds ALOT more throaty. Don't cut corners to save money though, if it's not FULL 3", then don't bother.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I put a 3" system on my 68 and it goes over the axle and fits great incase you're wanting to know if it does fit.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also have a 3" system. It's from TA performance, it tucks up really nice and fits perfect. It is kinda expensive, about $330 plus shipping, or in my case, tax. 2.5 will rob HP from a 500 HP engine, sounds like you want 3" anyway.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I have Stielows old 67 Red Witch and it has 3" all the way back, but it also has a fuel cell and has had the inner wheelhouses moved in 2". With the Mods that he did to it the 3" fits great . It took him 2 weeks to do the exhaust on mine. If he can't make 3" fit on the 69 it's not for lack of trying.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Clill, you own the "red witch"? How's that car doing, what engine is in it now, do you drive it much? I always loved that car.

------------------
mutert23

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Mark... Yes I own it. I drive the crap out of it. Of the Camaro's I have it is by far my favorite. It has the Trick Flow 532" aluminum engine that Mark drove on the Power Tour with. It gets about 15 mpg with AC. I had it at a show a couple weeks ago and they had a Free Chassis Dyno set up, made 468 hp to the ground on 92 Octane. My ZL1 is a Slug by comparison.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
What cars are in your collection? What type of suspension is on the red witch, I can't find my old Hot Rod mag that fetured the car. Also what type of transmission is in the car? When Stielow raced it on the One lap of America, what was it's top speed on the big ovals? I remember seeing the car for sale several years ago but I don't remember where, I think it was either the GoodGuys Gazzette or the Old Car Auto Trader, was it in one of those? Can you pretty much kill a Viper in all aspects of performance, I love the idea of an 1st gen Camaro being able to compete with modern super cars. Just very curious, Mark

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The suspension was basically built by Mark, has reworked lower control arms that accept adjustable coilovers where the coils used to be. Corvette spindles. The rear leafs were relocated inboard to accept the ZR1 wheels. Basically a whole lot of very subtle changes were done that if I had to do would take forever. Not sure of top speed, speedo only goes to 120. 80 mph is at about 2200 rpm. Corvette ZF 6 speed, Currie aluminum 9" rear, 13 1/2" front rotors, 13" rears. I have about 8 other Camaros, 2 32 Fords and some other stuff. Notable Camaro's would be the # 3 Berger ZL1, 68 Yenko, Yellow 69 RS Z28 with Porcupine 302.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you guys talk about this 3 inch system you ordered, it still has to be welded in right. Or is this some type of bolt in connection. My good friend is a welder for a living, never done a muffler system though.
Also, is it even possable to weld up a system if you got 4 jack stands on the car as high as they will go to weld up a system.

Also, do you guys have a nuber to this place or a URL address.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I think the web site is 'www.taperformance.com' and Torque Tech I had to call to get their catalog. They are in a lot of the car magazines in the back areas. Those systems are bolt and clamp systems as are most muffler shop systems too. Several shops told me they don't weld the connections in case you need to replace a component later on.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Clill, that is a great collection you've got, do you have a personal web site with these cars, I would love to see them.

------------------
mutert23

·
Registered
744 Posts
Pro,
TA performance is in Scottsdale, AZ. It comes with everything you need to bolt it in. What I did was bolt it in and I was able to pull it out with the shocks disconnected, and on jackstands. I welded it up and put it back in. I can't weld upside down to save my life. Will not be able to take out if you put in a crossover tube, not included. If really does fit awesome. (602-922-6808)

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.