Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just my thoughts on lowering springs. I purchased Hotchkis 3" lowering springs for the front of my car. Let me state right off the bat, that there is no issue with the quality of the springs. My issue is the ride quality and height. For me at least a 3" drop, is to much. The ride is very harsh as well, for my liking.

I wish I could just move on to other areas of this project, but I just can't let this go. After researching, I have decided that this Spring (waiting for it to warm up), I am going to swap the front coil springs and shocks with Viking dual adjustable coilovers. I will post up when I have completed the swap, on the difference.

Until then, any thoughts on doing this swap, is appreciated.

Thanks,
BH

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
531 Posts
did the Viking swap a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. you get the best of both worlds with the adjustability in ride characteristics and height. you wont regret. install a sway bar while you're in there if one is not present already.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
My 3" Hotchkis springs front and back are pretty stiff,
but after loosing 3" of travel I would think if they were soft springs you might have bottoming issues ?

I'm sure the adjustable coilovers will be a nice upgrade though.

·
10,160 Posts
My 3" Hotchkis springs front and back are pretty stiff,
but after loosing 3" of travel I would think if they were soft springs you might have bottoming issues ?

I'm sure the adjustable coilovers will be a nice upgrade though.
Yes, less travel needs a stiffer spring or you will be hitting the bump stops a lot. Hotchkis coils are around 600 lbs, which is ideal for agressive driving. You can go softer like 450 or 500. Shock valving is important too. Adding a 600 coil and using a shock made for a stock rate coil will have too much compression valving & not enough rebound.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Coilover spring rate will not be significantly different so I doubt ride quality will be much different. There is no magic bullet if you want to lower the ride height 3 inches imho.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts