Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an eleven inch clutch kit thinking bigger is better, plus they didn't have the 10 incher at the parts store. I thought my 3 speed bellhousing would work, like everything else I thought would work during this swap, I was wrong. What bellhousing casting do I have to get to get the needed clearance. And does anyone have one for sell. Thanks

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
OK, all your 6-bangers stuff will work fine!! Except for frame and rubber motor mounts so check them CLOSELY over at David Pozzi's great site!!!

Just make sure that you use a starter that has the straight across starter mount bolts on it!!

The 10.5" clutch and smaller bellhousing like I figure your 6-banger has use's straight across starter bolts AND........

The larger, 11" clutch stuff use's a staggered starter bolt pattern mount and a larger bellhousing. I think it is the # -621 jobber..

pdq67

PS., remember they have to be used as a complete assembly 10.4" or .5"(?) and 11" together!!

And some 11" flywheels can accept the H-D truck, 12" truck clutch plate and pressure plate too....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will the 462606 casting work, there is one on ebay now that seems reasonable, says it from the 70's and 80's and will fit 11" clutch. Again thanks for your help

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Wait, make darn sure you DON'T buy a truck big bellhousing unless you get it for say, $20 or so b/c well just read here.........

"DZAUTO’s bellhousing link.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142525&highlight=Bellhousing+101

However, GM cast literally millions of the 460 486 bellhousing to cover the larger flywheel and clutch in 1970's light trucks, both 6 and 8 cylinder. The problem is the Muncie SM 465 truck transmissions had a 5 1/8" (5.125) front bearing retainer, so you can't use it with the smaller car transmissions.

Luckily, a 4 11/16" x 5 1/8" bushing is available from Novak part # BR-4 (about $40) at www.novak-adapt.com or 877-602-1500.

Dennymac, (Dennis), also sell’s these here. He recently said “I appreciate the recommendation. If you want to include me as a friendly supplier of these adapter rings, I get $28US delivered for them. My contact information is cell phone 502-558-1043, and email is [email protected] Best of luck.
Thanks again. Dennymac Dennis McLeod

I bought one of the adapter rings, and used the truck bellhousing, which cost $25 at my local salvage yard, where they use the truck bellhousings for door stops.

The 486 dust cover is GM part #340 254."

pdq67

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
What kind of V8 are you installing?

The diameter of the clutch directly effects it's holding power and longevity. A larger diameter clutch adds a great deal of friction material to spread the engagement stress over. You gain about 8.5 sq. in. per side or, about 17 sq. in. of total clutch friction material if you stay with the 11 in. disc but you have to change out a whole bunch of parts!!

For a high horsepower application, you'll be much better off with the 11 in. but for a daily driver, you'll save a log of aggravation by staying with the 10.5.

Paul D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts