Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell if my car is a 3 Speed or 4 Speed? I just bought it and they weren't sure.... I've got the VIN and the tag that is on the firewall. The car is being picked up next weekend, but just kind of wondering.

It's a 1967 327.

Can anyone tell me what number/letter tells me what kind, and what spot it is in?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Three speed has an 'H' shift pattern. Can't remember off the top of my head where 'reverse' is. Upper left of 'H'?? Four speed has an 'H' shift pattern with reverse coming off of the left leg of the 'H' in the center and then going up.

Too confusing? Take a look at this link on our sponsor's website for the four speed shift pattern:
http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.m...Code=FZ-1424&Category_Code=SHIFTERSASSEMBLIES

One sure way to tell is to get in it and drive it. You'll find out in a hurry where reverse is!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
easiest way to tell for sure is to look at the trans.
3 speeds have 2 levers and 2 rods from the shifter.
Saginaw 4 speeds have 3 levers and rods, all in the side cover of the trans.
Muncie 4 speeds also have 3 levers and rods, but the reverse rod is in the tailhousing, not in the side cover.

Muncie's are alluminum, sag's and 3 speeds are iron.

If you post a pic of the trim tag, we can tell you which it came with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.