Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble wiring a 12 SI 3-wire alternator so it actually charges the battery. I don't want to run the wire through the original dash idiot light, I'm using a voltmeter instead. I've been reading other posts and the questionable hookup seems to be the "#1" or left spade terminal as viewed from the rear of the alternator. I have the "+" connection on the right terminal connected to the battery "+", but I can't figure out from the other posts what to connect to the left terminal if I don't want to connect it to the idiot light, but then how do I get the proper voltage drop that everyone is saying is needed for the alternator to "excite" or activate when it supposed to? When I connected it to a fused 12v source that is "on" with the ignition, the engine would not shut off, and the voltmeter was not even coming up to 12 volts, and it is my understanding it should have been reading 13 or more.

·
Super Moderator
32,603 Posts
The connection you are talking about comes from a second terminal labeled "IGN 2" from the ignition switch.

As you said, if you tie it to ign, the engine keeps running. You break the current path of this wire, and engine stops.

There is a diode one can install in series in this wire to terminal to stop current flow. You might look up www.madelectrical.com and read up there. Or, do a search here and see what info you can find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts