Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished watching the Dale Earnhardt movie on ESPN (in between a couple of posts). I thought it was good. I`m not an expert on his life, so I can`t say what was right or wrong. It was a good father-son relationship story though. I tend to like those. And what do you know-- no objectionable subject matter!-----Scott

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dale was a respectable guy IMO. There were those that thought he was a dirty racer at times,..... But that's just racing. Good story, good guy, good race car driver. RIP Dale.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I thought it was a well made movie. I have never been a huge Nascar fan, but it DID give me a new perspective.I will probably go out of my way to watch it in the future ;)

Dano

·
Registered
264 Posts
I liked it, should have been an hour longer. They went slow through the early years, then just took off into his career. I thought it was done respectively as well.

Tim

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I hope that I don't hurt anyone's feelings when I answer this post but .... I just don't under stand the way people Idolize this man. Sure he was a good racer and maby even a nice guy but so many people have elevated Dale E. to the point that he is their hero. IT is so bad that some people pratictly worship him. I just don't understand it. I am an avid motor sports enthusiast but lets face it dale was just a man. He may have had some impressive accomplishments in his life but I think people over do it. A perfect example of this is a guy that I was in the Air Force with. His initials were B.Z. We were deployed to the desert's of the middle east and when D.Z. found out that Dale was dead they had to send him home. He was totally devastated! And then there are all the people with the 3's and the "you'll live for ever dale" stickers that I see on peoples cars. I live in Fl and man if i ever wanted to start a fight all I would have to do is say somthing neg about Dale E. it's crazy. I just don't understand it.

[ 12-12-2004, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: 69CamaroRacer ]

·
Registered
701 Posts
Dale was extremely benevolent in the Racing community, from the bottom to the top. He was probably the most charitable (in terms of dollars to charities and dollars to small racing teams)
He was really a quiet, amazing guy. I really miss him not being out there.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think Dale brought excitement to racing. A lot of times he didn't have a car that would win but it seemed that he just made things happen that kept racing exciting. It just isn't the same without him.

·
Registered
503 Posts
When a common man makes a name for himself they tend to be idolized, if Micheal Jordan or Jerry Rice (or anyother good natured sport star) died tomorrow there would be alot of fans coming out of the wood work to pay tribute. I was a Dale Sr fan before he died and now Im a Dale Jr fan because I see alot of his father in him.

I think they showed more of his early years because most people know about his later years pretty well, his early years where somewhat of a mystery to me. Until last year I didnt even know Dale Sr had another son named Kerry, I had thought Dale Jr was his oldest kid.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I gotta say, I was raised in an Earnhardt household. My little Dad, little brother and I always liked him because he was still a blue-collar guy no matter how much money he made. For some reason a lot of people (including myself) could identify with him. And I'll admit I shed a tear that day in 2001 and I still get shook up when I see reruns of that footage and hear Darrel Waltrip's voice cracking.

Besides, what's not to like about a true Chevy man?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
When you build the career he had, starting from nothing, and maintain that level of skill, any person should be given his due. I am not an avid NASCAR dude, but I do keep track of whats going on and I watch an occasional race. Dale Sr. was, in my opinion, a dirty racer in his early years. He did alot of bump and runs in those days and just about every other driver wanted him out of NASCAR. He did tame down AFTER he teamed up with Childress and Johnson. They forced him to learn how to drive without trading paint. He still did it to some degree, but he knew that is what the fans wanted to see. He earned the fame he has and I think the movie was good, not great, but it was an ESPN type of thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts