Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am curious about 302 mains and cranks assembled from the factory. were all the cranks large or small journal or both depending on year made? also were all the blocks 4 bolt or 2 bolt or both depending on year made? also one other thing did GM ever cast a block with the same casting number as both a 2 bolt and 4 bolt application. all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
67=small journal, 2 bolt main. 68=large journal, 2 bolt main. 69=large journal, 4 bolt main.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
I have an original 1967 Z/28 302 crank. It is a special one year only Z/28 302 crank and not a 283 crank like some people say. It is small journal and the hole in the front of the crank is not tapped for a damper bolt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. kyvox, would you happen to know when GM changed over to the 4 bolt 69 block from the 68 2 bolt block? my casting date is sept 20th 1968 and built oct 3rd 1968. it was in a early 1969 car. thanks

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If it's the 386 casting it will be a 4 bolt main. According to MacNeishs book that block was used as early as Jan. 1968.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Can you post the casting and engine code #'s? Is yours a 4 or 2 bolt?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thes numbers have already caused some debate in the past posts i have made but here goes....casting # 3959512 and front pad #'s 19N518336 V1003DZ and casting date # I208. i know, i know, the casting # is not the typical 4 kinds, but no one has been able to say what it is. search for posts from silk under tag team to get the scoop. also the engine is in the car running so i havent been able to drop the pan to see the main caps. that casting code shows as a possible service replacement, so what the chance of that, and would the dealer or factory put the cars vin back on it? note that all info found shows that block to 67 at the latest but mine was casted in late 68 so what gives???

[This message has been edited by silk (edited 01-01-2002).]

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Silk- Could you be mis-reading the casting date? Check to see if it is I 20 "3". Rub a piece of chalk across it to see it better.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Good definition of the casting date will help figure this out; I show the 9512 block as used for '62-'63 327's, but Flint didn't change their engine plant stamp code from "F" to "V" until July, 1966.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i scraped, i rubbed, and i cleaned. the casting date still shows I208. i looked up the same info about it being a 327 62-67 and the heads show for a 1964 327 also so i guess it sounds like a 327 all except for that casting date and it possibly being used as a service replacement block. the balancer is huge also which i have not seen a early 327 with one this big. but who knows? the partial vin on it should translate to something like this 124379N518336, i wonder if that car ever got docomented on camaros.org? and if it did, was it a Z/28?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Something else to check: On the back of the block, behind the distributor, is there a fitting with a rubber hose running to it? Or even a hole (about 1" diameter) in the block with a plug in it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts