Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on taking the DZ out of my Z and install a 383 stroker motor and want to keep the stock appearence. The DZ would be put in the corner and stored.

1) Would a set of worked over 2.02 heads work good on a 383?
2) Would the DZ intake work good on the 383?
3) What about motor mounts?
4) Radiator-Cooling?
5) M20 still a good trans w/4:11 gearing?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
yes, but some good 190-200 cc aftermarket heads would be better, you could always paint them orange
yes
same mounts
cooling should not be a problem, use everything off the DZ if it's in good shape it will cool.
budget question mostly. If you don't want to change the gear, think about a tko600, or go to a 3.23-3.55 gear, or build the crap outa the 383 so it revs like the 302 did!

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I am no expert but the 383 stroker is more of a torq engine, not as high as a revver as the 302, so the 383 and the 4.11 gears may be a mis-match. Maybe you should de-stroke a 350 CI and build it to rev. Then you could run the Z car like it wants to run. I sure there are others who will disagree.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
You will be fine w/ a complete DZ topend on your 383!!

Just cam it smaller for MAX T production at say 35 to 4,000 rpm and GO!!

pdq67

PS., and no more than a good bowl-blend, dingle-berry casting flash removal will help a bunch..

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Maybe you should de-stroke a 350 CI and build it to rev.
isn't that essentially what a 302 is?
just build the 383, put it in, and have fun with it. the gears are only too deep if you think they are too deep.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
isn't that essentially what a 302 is?QUOTE]
That was kind of my point; build a spinner not a torquer and respect the originality of the car. His plan is to build an engine to drive and store the original 302.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was kind of my point; build a spinner not a torquer and respect the originality of the car. His plan is to build an engine to drive and store the original 302.
My intent is to have a sleeper 2.02 double hump, DZ looking motor when you pop the hood open, but have the torque/hp of a bigger motor.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
one man's mismatched combo is another man's version of heaven..
like, say, a stout 454 and 3.73 posi in a 79 Z/28 that a good friend of mine had. sure, it had no real top end, but was it ever a blast getting there. and at 60mph, it wasn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I decided I am going to do a complete 383, from top to bottom and leave the 302 pieces on the engine for a full 302 rebuild in the next couple years. The last time the 302 was gone thru was 8-9 years ago. The 302 is going to parked and stored for safe keeping.

Going to the motor shop Saturday to discuss the engine specs. I will let you know next week the details.

Is a M-20 trong enough for a 450-475HP motor? I've been thing about an A/G Muncie if the stock M-20 is not strong enough. Comments?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Where is JimM??

Jim, please chat w/ him more about your combination....

pdq67
I'm right here, Paul, but my combo would NEVER be mistaken for a DZ, tho it does kinda look like one it sure as heck don't sound like one.

Muncie's are plenty strong, won't be a problem.

Satz, just think hard about how you want to build it. A DZ302 has a particular "character" that is often imitated, never duplicated. The drivetrain was made for the charicteristics of that engine, particularly the gearing.

While you could certainly build a lumpy, solid lifter, high reving 383 (and I bet it would be a ton of fun!) that's not typical of most 383's.

how are you gonna use the car? How much will you drive it? Highway or city streets? Do you just want to save the DZ, or do you want to change the character of the car so it is more suited to how you will use it?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Where is JimM??

Jim, please chat w/ him more about your combination....

pdq67
I'm right here, Paul, but my combo would NEVER be mistaken for a DZ, tho it does kinda look like one it sure as heck don't sound like one.

Satz, just think hard about how you want to build it. A DZ302 has a particular "character" that is often imitated, never duplicated. The drivetrain was made for the charicteristics of that engine, particularly the gearing.

While you could certainly build a lumpy, solid lifter, high reving 383 (and I bet it would be a ton of fun!) that's not typical of most 383's.

how are you gonna use the car? How much will you drive it? Highway or city streets? Do you just want to save the DZ, or do you want to change the character of the car so it is more suited to how you will use it?

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Jim,

Just so you know, I think I met you last summer at the Wed cruise in St. Charles, and am at Lombard almost every Saturday night.

Now all my driving with the car is suburban, with an occasional day at the track. My intent is to put the DZ in the corner for safe keeping and slowly rebuild it.

The purpose is to build a little different car...One that has a little more grunt..one that I can get into and not worry about the value of the my born with engine...I've had the car 9 years and it's time for a bit of a change. Don't get me wrong, there is nother better than winding the 302 and hearing the solid lifters.:D And besides, it's cheaper than buying another car.

The car has an M-20, and 4:10's in the back so I may think of doing a tranny change. A 383 is not set in stone, as I may go with a 355.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Rob, thanks for ringing my bell, I do remember meeting you.
I'm gonna try to do more cruizins this summer, and we'll meet again, too.

Since you're so close, why not just get together, and you can take my car for a spin, sounds like a good way for you to get the "flavor" of a torquer 383 in front of a 5 speed.

The "problem" with the 302 is lack of low end torque. Not a problem on the track of course, but sometimes no fun toling around in traffic. There are many times I'm kinda glad I can just leave my car in third and cover any speed from walking at idle to 65 or so. It is very much a differnet animal, but like I said, only one of the many possible ways to do it.

Maybe leave the rear alone and put in a tko 600, funds permitting?
That overdrive gear makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rob, thanks for ringing my bell, I do remember meeting you.
I'm gonna try to do more cruizins this summer, and we'll meet again, too.

Since you're so close, why not just get together, and you can take my car for a spin, sounds like a good way for you to get the "flavor" of a torquer 383 in front of a 5 speed.

The "problem" with the 302 is lack of low end torque. Not a problem on the track of course, but sometimes no fun toling around in traffic. There are many times I'm kinda glad I can just leave my car in third and cover any speed from walking at idle to 65 or so. It is very much a differnet animal, but like I said, only one of the many possible ways to do it.

Maybe leave the rear alone and put in a tko 600, funds permitting?
That overdrive gear makes a huge difference.
Jim,

I may take you up on the offer. Until they get done with the road onstruction at Randall & North, I will not bring my car down that way during the week.

I have a console. Does the TKO fit in a stock console?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
OK Jim, you got me!!

How did you fit the 350SS horn button on the optional wheel that came w/ the bow-tie horn button like mine?? Ooop's, you told me over the steak that evening!!

Now bttt, I have to say that regardless, a Z-28 should have a 302 in it!!

I've had my stock -151 cammed L-48 350SS, my old junk301 w/ a Duntov -097, my hopped up, .060" over, 11.5 to 1 CR 409 "W" NASCAR cammed engine, a hopped up 300hp/327 w/ a 272/272 Energizer, my Strong Arm 406SB w/ a 292/230, 480" and my 496 BB w/ a CC 282S cam that hasn't been cranked up yet!!

And the old junk301 gave me the most grin for the pedal!!!

AND I know my 550hp 496 is gonna be a HP/T hoot, but NOT like the rpmm'ing SOB, my junk301 was!!! i used ta roll her outta the hole w/ my 3.31's and nail her when she hit about 3 grand and held on 'til 7,000+ and shifted, again and again!!

Jim, Thanks for telling him that there is NO engine like the little old Z-28 jobber and I don't care what anybody say's about the '70 350 Z-28 engine b/c it AIN'T the same!! Great POWERFUL engine, BUT not the same, rpm-wise!!!

pdq67

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
My 388 behaves a lot like the DZ302 but with a LOT more power everywhere. I am using a comp cams 294s solid, 10.3-1 compression (easily runs on pump gas), 200cc pro-topline iron lightning heads, a 300-36 holley intake, etc etc. It spins to 7K too easily, idles at 900-1000 rpms, and will destroy street tires on a whim. It would be an absolute ball with a 4 speed and 4.10's :thumbsup:
It has less than 200 miles on it since it was freshened back in 2004 :sad: And it was only freshened up with less than 500 miles on it since it was built (ring and head issues corrected). I am selling the engine, dropping a much milder 350 into the nova, swapping my other 2.73 rear end into the nova, and will start driving it again soon.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well after talking to the engine builder and looking at costs, I've decided on a 406. I looked at a 355, and for aprox $750 I get 50 more cubes and somewhere around 50 more HP. The price was close to the same for the 383.

The engine will be built and make max HP around 6500 RPM. Should make about 490-500 HP. Comp ratio will be around 11:0 +- a couple of 10ths.

Here are a couple details, as the final cam selection has still to be worked out.

1) Eagle rods and crank
2) SRP Pistons
3) Comp Cam
4) Brodix IK Aluminum Heads

More details soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts