Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start my Camaro in the morning it runs great. But after a while of conservative driving, it warms up to over 220F and the oil pressure drops to under 30 at idle. Also, the engine tends to idle rough right around 550 rpm. Is this normal? I've changed the thermostat to a 180 unit, and also flushed the radiator, changed the temp sending unit,and made sure the fans worked. I also checked timing, because I heard that a lean condition can cause over heating as well.

Does anyone know the avg. engine temp for a 305 LO3 engine? Also, what is the avg. oil pressure for the same engine using 10w30, when the engine is warmed up?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Simon,

There are a couple of things here, if you are in town traffic the fan don't come on until after 220, even though you have the 180 stat it will run hotter because of no force air.

If you just drained and flushed the radiator, that won't fix it if it is in fact pluged. After doing some free way time and the car is still heating then you might try taking the rad to someone who can vat/rod it out properly.

If you have 30 LBS oil press @550 & 220, that's not bad. Check it for vacuum leaks, plugs, wires,ect that cause rough idle.

Larry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I plan on having the radiator looked at by a local radiator shop.I'll probably get them to do a leak-down test as well,maybe a head gasket is leaking? We'll see. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts