Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it OK to put a 315/35/17 tire on a 10 inch rim??

I want to go 11 inch but one of the sets of rims that I like only comes in 10inch..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
The size you mention was used on ZR1 Corvette's back in the early to mid 1990's. The ZR1's had 17x11 wheels in the rear. 11-12" is the preferred rim size for a tire that wide. Here is a helpful chart that will confirm what I just said. http://www.midatlanticmotorsport.com/hoosier_dot_radial 2005.htm

I have seen people mount P315/35/ZR17 on a 17x10 wheel with no issues and get ten's of thousand's of miles on them when the car is driven normally (not raced or used as an SCCA corner hugger/canyon carver). If the car has ABS brakes I would stick with 17x11. Especially if it's a ZR-1 Corvette.

Lets put it this way: I personally have used tires on wheels that should have been 15x8 instead of 15x7 and 14x6 instead of 14x7. This was both on First and Third gen Camaro's. However none of these cars had ABS, tire pressure monitors, vehicle ride height adjustors, etc. I think you know what I am getting at. If you are still not sure then look at the disclaimer on the bottom of the link above.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts