Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the points and condensor on my 67 with a stock 327/210hp. What do I set the point gap to? The new set I bought yesterday is a one piece point and condensor. Is there a problem in using this?
There are a few resons for replacing the points. 1st, the car sat for a number of years before I got it. It sure cant hurt to replace them. 2nd, when the engine is cold I get a hesitation on acceleration from a stop. After your up to speed and jump on it it seems better. After the engine is warmed up (5-10 miles) the hesitation also seems to be better. The accelerator pump looks like its functioning. When you look down the carb and work the throttle the gas squirts out the 2 ports.

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
Points are .019" or 30* of dwell is using dwell meter. Point set w/condenser is fine to use.

Choke may be opening alittle too fast during cold temp. However, during normal operating temp, check initial timing with vac advance unplugged and hose plugged, engine idle at 600 in Drive or 700 in manual neutral, set initial for 2* BTDC. I would probably set it for 4-6* BTDC.

Use vacuum gauge on full time vacuum (manifold vacuum)and adjust idle mixture screws for max indication (more vacuum, 0 is less, 18-20 is more). Reset curb idle and should be good to go.

You may want to add a can fuel cleaner and/or clean and regasket the carb with a kit. You will get a new accellerator pump to help the openig of throttle. Fresh gasoline will help alot.

When tuned properly, one should be able to set at idle in gear, if auto, and go instantenously to WOT and the car should perform without problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts