Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get my car started for the initial break-in but after about 5 min. the ceramic engine paint on the intake on the center coolant runner on each side of the carb began to blister. The rest of the intake was fine. Is this normal. What adjustments should I make to prevent this.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I was able to get my car started for the initial break-in but after about 5 min. the ceramic engine paint on the intake on the center coolant runner on each side of the carb began to blister. The rest of the intake was fine. Is this normal. What adjustments should I make to prevent this.
Thats not a coolant crossover..it is an exhaust crossover designed to heat the intake plenum floor under the carb.If this is undesireable to you..pull the intake and install gskts with stainless block off plates.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
It's not a coolant passage it's an exhaust passage and it is normal to burn the paint off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't understand why the paint is only blistering at those two locations. I used the same paint on the entire engine. I have replaced the entire exhaust system to include the heat riser on the passenger side. If I block off the exhaust runner will it prevent my choke from operating properly? (Original Quadrajet w/manual choke) Should I just wait until after the break-in is done and clean and repaint the intake?

·
Super Moderator
32,431 Posts
Exhaust gas is hot, aka, 500°F typically. If you do clean & paint again, it will bubble again unless you wire the heat riser valve open or replace it with a spacer.
The reason its blistering at those two spots is the turns the gases make going through the manifold from one side to the other side of the manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts