Team Camaro Tech banner
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  67327 
#1 ·
Hi, this is my 1st time posting so please excuse any mistakes etc. I am looking for recommends on building some mild street performance to a stock 2 barrel 327 in my 1967 camaro base. It has a 2 speed power glide and 12 bolt. Also need to maintain vacuum for 4 wheel power disc brake booster. Didn't plan on adding a torque converter. Having said that, I'm considering adding vortec heads, 4 barrel carb and intake, choppy idle cam, and headers but need some thoughts on parts that will jive together and on a reasonable budget. I appreciate any input, thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome.

If you've got highway gears it's going to be tough. I worked on one in the 70s with your set up. Even with a relatively mild cam upgrade the combination of converter, first gear and axle ratio made it slower from a stand still. I'd recommend considering changing at least one (or more) of your parameters, more inches or more axle or more fist gear or more stall. If the engine is healthy then N20 might be interesting.

#3 ·
You will get the most bang for your buck by changing your transmission. I would install a TH-350. (3 speed automatic). Then you can upgrade the engine. Shiftworks has the kit to use your original shifter. www.shiftworks.com

#6 ·
I've done this to many 1st gens (67 and 68 mostly) and it wakes the car up nicely. The shorter 1st gear in the TH350 (2.52) vs. the PG (1.78) will wake even a 2.73 geared car. And it's a direct fit bolt in regarding size and yoke. Downshift uses a cable VS. the PG linkage. They also make kits to alter the shifter or you can go aftermarket.

I do regret having tossed so many (no doubt original) PG's and their shifters through the years though. Who knew 30-40 years ago that these cars would be worth $$$...

#5 ·
Look at my 327 combo in my signature----vortec heads--solid cam, runs strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.