Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to rebuild my stock 327 with 210 horsepower. Looking to build a nice street motor, nothing too crazy. Suggestions on heads and cam for build. I know a roller is a better way to go but want to keep somewhat of a budget and not use a solid type of cam. Not going to put in my Camaro and do not have a vehicle yet but will be using a Tremec TKO that I have as well. Want to get the engine to a machine shop this summer. Probably going to look for older Chevy 2wd truck or possibly a S-10.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,066 Posts
Luke, I rebuilt my 327/210 simply because I wanted to keep the original engine and I happen
to like the 327's. I added cast iron 461 double hump heads (period correct) and used an Erson
E110016 cam often referred to as an RV cam. Bored .03 over. With the machine work, heads
and parts I ended up at ~$2k and I assembled the engine. On top of that I had to add intake
manifold and carb plus some items I'm sure I'm not remembering. From a financial standpoint
it's probably not smart compared to just buying a crate motor. I am happy with the performance
and street-ability is great.
Here's a link to the cam if interested.
Erson-PBM-World-B2C | E110016 - Erson Cams - Chevrolet Small Block 57-95 - Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Energy Plus RV Torque Master Series

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It all depends on how deep your pockets are vs what you want. I kept my 327 as well as I've always loved the way they run. Initially I went with 461's as well, had 2.02/ 1.6 SS valves put in, topped with springs good for .525 lift, 1.6 roller rockers. Tossed in a CC270H .470/,470 cam, .040 Kieth Black 10.5-1 dome tops, .had the rotating assembly balanced. Had the long block done at the shop, then finished the build at home. Topped off with and Edelbrock RPM intake and a holley 750 Vac Sec carb. Long tube headers. Changes made since initial build were to go to aluminum heads flowing 215 and to a Holley 700 DP. Won't run on E85 has got to run the 91 instead. Keep the foot out of it and it still gets nearly 20mpg. To keep it at the E85 you'll likely want to keep it at 9-1 compression so running a head with 70cc chambers will likely be the ticket, cam perhaps in the .420 lift area, maybe a tad lower. The issue with 327's is that they are high winding motors and have low lower end torque levels which is why long tube headers are preferred over shorty's. Put some thought into what your expectations are. You didn't mention the year of the block. If it's a 68 or 69 then you can always buy a 350 lower end kit and convert it to a 350. This would give you the lower end torque that a pickup needs.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I had the camel back's as well and was very unhappy with the performance. I installed the Edelbrock e-street heads and I have been smiling ever since ! It is very easy to over cam a 327. Those old heads just don't flow well. My cam also is only a 270H and wouldn't flow until the new heads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts