Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyont tell me how far to torque the timing gear bolts on a '68 327.

Also the torque specs for the timing cover.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
AL

·
Registered
238 Posts
timing cover 80 in-lbs
cam sprocket 20 ft-lbs

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
55 Belair Sedan Pro Street 355 auto 9''

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gene,

One other question if I may.

We are installing an Edelbrock double row gears and chain. It had been a long time since I did one of these and back then I had a little more control since the engine was out of the vehicle. Best I remember I was able to turn things from the flywheel on that one.

This time the engine is still in the car and I had to turn the cam with a rachet on one of the timing gear bolts to get the distributor in the right position. Even though the plugs were out, the bolt locked down pretty tight, (I'm sure much, much more than 20 ft. pounds).

I figure to replace all the bolts with new grade 8 and heavy duty Locktite. I wondered if it would hurt to torque any heavier, even though I don't think I hurt the threads. I just don't know how tough the cam threads are.

Thanks again,

AL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Al. Im sure you could go 25 ft-lbs on the five sixteenths grade 8 bolts.loctite would be alright too,or you could go with a cam locking plate,You can get them thru jegs,summit,etc for around 5 bucks with bolts.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
55 Belair Sedan Pro Street 355 auto 9''

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.