Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97' 350 engine w/Hyd Roller Cam that is being rebuilt for my 68' Camaro that I've been working on for the last 2yrs. It is at the machine shop now. So far, we've bored the cyclinders .060" and taken the crank down .010". I need to buy everything else as my engine guy is waiting on me so he can put it all together... I would like to get your input on my selections as I do not have much experiance with engines.

Cam: Comp Cams Xtreme Energy XR276HR-10

intake w/factory rocker .502"/exhaust .510"
110 lobe seperation

Heads: Iron Vortec - Modified for .550" lift

Hyp Pistons: ???

Head Gasket: ???

Rods: Stock

Ignition: Stock HEI

Intake: Edelbrock Air-Gap RPM

Carb: Edelbrock 650 (i think, can't remember exactly but its not a 700+)

Transmission: TH350 modified for 500HP

Rearend: 8.5" Nova 10-Bolt w/3.73 gearing

I am wondering what compression I should be running with this setup. Was thinking 10:1 would be the sweet spot but was not sure... This car is not a daily driver and will not be making long road trips on a regular basis. I'm trying to build a fun, fast car. Nothing extreme though. In all reality I would be happy with anything over 350hp although I am shooting for 400hp at the crank.

Any info here would be GREATLY appreciated as I am not really sure how to figure out which pistions to go with and my machine shop would rather have me pick them versus them being responsible for choosing the wrong ones??? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
With those Iron heads I would try and keep it under 9.5 to 1 if your going to run pump gas. .060 over is alot to be boring a production SBC block.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try and save for a set of aftermarket heads. Shoot for 10 to 1 compression, maybe a little more. Good choice on the cam. GEt 650 to 750 vac. secondary carb.

I will say you just might get 430 horse and 430 foot lbs.

Nice combo!

·
Registered
601 Posts
edelbrock has a good kit for 2000-6000 rpms it includes the intake, carb and cam.for pistons it is better to go for hypotheuropetic pistons.they give less resistance and less wear there for lower oil temps. little bit more but worth the diference.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You'll need to upgrade your stock HEI to run higher than 4000 RPM. I have run a Hypertech coil and MSD 6AL module on my HEI's and was very happy with these parts. Are you sure the larger HEI distributor won't hit the firewall? If you haven't planned for this yet it may be better to use a distributor with a smaller cap and higher performance potential out of the box. At 400 hp, a 650 carb is holding you back, but your intake manifold is among the best out there. I would also run 1-3/4" headers and a well designed 2-1/2" dual exhaust with an X pipe.
About your compression ratio issue, you can run 10:1 or even higher on pump gas with iron heads IF you run enough duration. Longer valve events not only pack the powerband up high, but also have the dual benefit of bleeding off excess cylinder pressure down low, where detonation is likely to occur. As far as what is "enough" duration for a given compression ratio, I would check with a professional race engine builder who has experience in playing with this kind of thing. Figuring this out could be worth a lot of power, and it's free since you have to buy the parts anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts