Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that is wanting me to build a 350 to go in his 91 pick up. He wants to use a standard bore block, he has a set of 882 heads that he wants on the motor. I just need some sugestions on what cam ignition pistons rockers things like that. I have built many of motors but i have never tried to squeeze any power out of these heads. He wants the motor to be strong enogh that he can take it to the track on sundays and maybe do sum good with it. If you have any suggestions at all please post them all will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Hope I don't pop a balloon here, but making track-worthy power with the 882's would be a challenge. They're a smogger 350 head and literally millions of them were made. This is the head installed on mid-70's choked-up engines,..i.e., a 165 HP 350 made in 1975.

Heads are where you can make your power,..I'd find something more suitable. Call a local engine builder,..see what he has available and see if he'll work a swap.

Then I'd build about 9.5:1 (iron) or 10:1 (alum) compression and a cam in the 225 @.50 range.

Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
consider the new vortech heads- now avail at your friendly salvage yard. require very little work / machine larger spring seats and change springs.Very good numbers for the money! note- does have ditterent bolt pattern for intake

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes this is exactly what i told him no power involved in these heads. I told him where i can get the vortecs new in the box for 350 dollars ready to go but you cant make him believe it.I am going to print this out for proof though.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
As someone with a mild 350 with a performer cam, performer intake, 600 cfm carb, and 882's, I would use other heads. These heads seem ok down low and make pretty good torque, but they just die around 4300 rpms. Its like they hit a wall around 4300 rpms. In the spring, I'm replacing my heads with either a set of Trickflow's or Bordix IK 200s. The 882's will make good boat anchors

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well this isn't helping me much :D I already knew they were junk compared to 90% of the heads out there. I was just going to see what people came up with for a combination if the 882 heads had to be used for some reason, say a racing class etc.. Thats the only reason I was going to play around with them. Is to see if a motor could be tweaked enough to make any kind of power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts