Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening guys,
How does a flywheel work? I know theres 153 and 168 toothed...whats the difference besides the number of teeth? Will a flywheel from a 327 fit on a 350? I have a 350 turbo trans. I have to buy one and just wanted a little more clarity. Thanks for your time. I have a 350 block.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Dave, the 168 tooth wheel is used with 11" clutch and '621 bellhousing. With the 168 you need a different starter snout also. The 153 tooth is used with the 10.4" clutch. If you are swapping to a muncie for example, the simplest swap is 153 tooth, '403 or '383 bellhousing and an inspection cover plate and your same starter but you can also use the 168 and corresponding parts of you want the larger clutch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just make sure you get one for a 350, not a 400. And make sure it's for whatever year your block is. The newer 350 blocks are externally balanced like the 400, and the crank flange bolt pattern is smaller. Go to a reputable speed shop and they'll sell ya the right one for your app. Someone on here may know the correct number you need that you can cross over at an Autozone, O'reilly's, etc.. They may need more specs on your setup tho.

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
You have an automatic transmission, so you will be using a flexplate.
If your 350 is an '85 and earlier, yes, the 327 flexplate will fit.

But before its bolted up to the engine, compare the bolt pattern of the torque convertor to the flexplate. If they match, you're good to go.

If not, no match, you have a couple choices,
1. Buy the flexplate to fit the t/conv and its corresponding starter
1a. 153-tooth f/plate uses a starter with the mounting bolts in line and the outside bolt is short in length.
1b. 168-tooth f/plate uses a starter with the mounting bolts staggered and both bolts are the same length.
2. Visit an aftermarket retailer and purchase a 153-tooth f/plate with a dual bolt pattern.

Be sure to check starter pinion gear mesh. You might need shims.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts