Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Got a 93 chevy truck 350/700r4. Gunned it a little to get into the driveway (snow) and got out to see a pool of oil under the back of the engine. I started it back up and oil just came pouring out of the back of the engine.

Could this be the rear main seal? I read somewhere that the rear main seal isnt exposed to oil under pressure, so higher oil pressure wouldnt have caused the rear main seal to bust. Is this true?

Can you guys help me figure out what it is?

thanks

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Someone steal your oil filter?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil filter is there and tight. oil cooler lines? are those the lines coming into the oil filter plate?

thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
i had a 90 pickup that had an oil sending unit on the side of the block(drivers side near the oil pan).this is the sending unit for the oil pressure guage.mine totally blew apart and oil was spewing out.might want to check that out.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill check this stuff out... but this was gushing out. looks like when you drain the oil out of the pan... does the rear main seal leak like that?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Gunning it thru the snow in San Jose?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Sh-t!!

A LEAKY oil sending unit!!!

You know way back when, the old '60's Corvairs used to have this problem AND I woulda thought GM woulda fixed it by now!!!

BAD, BAD, BAD!!!!!!!!

pdq67

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well,

I got back under there and although i didnt fire it up, i did see that the oil sending unit and both oiler cooler lines are bone dry...

what else is up in between the engine and bellhousing that could be leaking oil? the top of the engine is bone dry too...

would the rear main seal leak like that (gushing out)?

thanks

jeff

·
3,405 Posts
j,
The rear seal is not under pressure so it really should not be "gushing" out as you are describing it. Is it possible the oil filter gasket got pushed out ? I really think you are going to have to start it to see where it is coming from. There is really nothing in the back of the engine that would come out easily and cause a leak like that. There are three oil galley plugs, but they are screwed in place and impossible to get out even when you want to, so I doubt that one of them is causing it.
Stupid question, but are you sure its engine oil and not trans fluid ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
bill has a point, are u sure its not tranny fluid?i know in my truck someone didn't tighten down the front pump on the trans and fluid was gushing out like crazy.it leaked from the bellhousing inspection cover.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Hey bill

I had same problem.
Check the back of manifold and back of oil pan gasket. I ended up with plugged pvc valve and the pressure blew both oil pan and manifold gaskets. The gushing came mostly from back of manifold couldn't find it till I removed engine to replace rear main seal and back tracked the wet source to points of origin. It poured down inside of bell housing. It made it look like it was coming from the rear main seal. Found mine after I removed engine.

Good luck
MT 68 conv

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
A friend of mine with a 95 "Burb had oil gushing of the same kind. Shop found oil filter adapter leaking.

BillK gives good advice. I believe it could be the cam plug also as a source, oil sending unit too, and last, but not least, a rear main seal.

Start the engine and take a look with a large flashlight and look.

And yes, it did snow in San Jose last year. Weather Channel showed it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I had the same problem once in my RS. Turned out to be the old oil filter rubber gasket remained on the block after an oil change. She didn't like 2 gaskets there. Funny though it didn’t leak at first. But boy it sure was something when it gave loose on the highway. Lucky me I found the culprit pretty quick. I even had a couple of quarts in the trunk to get me back up and going.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everett hit it on the head... it was the oil filter adapter leaking... new gasket and oil line connectors fixed it.

thanks everyone for your help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts