Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings
I just rebuilt my 69 350-used all original pieces to keep the originality but upgraded it inside
The problem I am having is that while breaking the engine in it started to leak oil between the oil pan and timing chain covers it drips some but not a lot-either way its leaking oil.
Ive invested way too much time putting this back in and everything, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Can I drop the pan down enough to put a bead of high temp silicone or should I replace the gasket?:(

·
Registered
455 Posts
Small block Chevrolets used two different thicknesses of seal between the pan and timing cover. It is possible to put the thinner one in when you really need the thicker one. Most gasket sets include both sizes.

Remove all the pan bolts except the last two 1/2" bolts in the rear. Leave those two in, but loosen them a turn or two. Then you can lower the front of the pan down enough to investigate your leak.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Greetings
I just rebuilt my 69 350-used all original pieces to keep the originality but upgraded it inside
The problem I am having is that while breaking the engine in it started to leak oil between the oil pan and timing chain covers it drips some but not a lot-either way its leaking oil.
Ive invested way too much time putting this back in and everything, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Can I drop the pan down enough to put a bead of high temp silicone or should I replace the gasket?:(
I had issues with oil leaks with my motor when i first put it in and the only way to fix it right is to pull it back out. I tried dropping the pan when the motor was in the car, and it didn't work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts