Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys , This is my first time posting on this site. I have a couple questions maybe you guys can help me on this topic. I have a 1968 RS/SS Camaro with matching numbers. Im finally going to rebuilt the engine and Im not sure the do's and donts to not affect the whole matching numbers situation. I would like to juice it to the max potential and having it on the safe side as well. My friends have advised me to do a stroker. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
For value make sure you retain the 'numbers' on the deck. Other than that you can do what ever you want. Make sure you keep all the dated parts you don't use, intake, heads, etc.

If your builder has to deck the block you may be better off moth balling the original engine and build something from scratch that's not numbers matching.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
A lot can depend on your car. If it is a ss/rs you might just want to bag and save the original motor for the numbers matching worth. Come time if ever to sell, that could be worth a good bit.
And.....go get a rebuildable junkyard 350 and work your magic on it. At least you won't have to worry when you slam the gas pedal.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
A lot can depend on your car. If it is a ss/rs you might just want to bag and save the original motor for the numbers matching worth. Come time if ever to sell, that could be worth a good bit.
And.....go get a rebuildable junkyard 350 and work your magic on it. At least you won't have to worry when you slam the gas pedal.
X2 on this!

If you want to build it better and stronger then stash the matching number engine and start fresh...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Welcome to the Team Fonzo!

A MUCH better idea is to go the bone yard a grab a 350 out of a pick-up truck and rebuild that to your hearts content. There is only one numbers matching block with all of the date codes cast into it. I recommend pulling it, draining fluids, covering all holes, and then bagging it to keep moisture out of the engine. You can store it in the garage or up in your attic over the garage, but you want to store it. That is if you are really worried about numbers matching.

You can build a Dart Little M block that has perimeter aftermarket heads a newer high rise manifold that flows half again better than anything Chevy ever cast and a small cap HEI with a digital ignition box inside your glove box. A Hydraulic roller cam (I prefer a solid roller myself but I don't mind the maintenance required) and even a set of two and a half inch Rams Horn cast iron manifolds and of course two cans of Chevy Orange paint and it can be made to look just like your factory motor; only pumping out a hundred to a hundred and fifty more horsepower.

If you scatter the guts out of a junk yard block you won't feel nearly as bad as you would if it was your "born with" being scraped off the track. If you go the Dart block route you can build a much bigger displacement small block than the 350 for about the same money.

Big Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts