Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is the deal. i just turned 18 and i want to build or buy a 350 with around 400 HP(or as much as i can afford)i have good mechanical ability for my age, but have never built an engine. my question is: should i buy a book and just build and engine from scratch(have a 350 block), but i don't have anyone to help me(so i am on my own). so i am worried that i will put all this money into the engine and i will do something wrong and blow up the engine or cause major problems(and i won't have money to fix it because i am still a student). also i have decent amount of tools but not all the specialty tools that i probably need to build an engine. so would i be better off buying a short block (or long block) and just put the heads, cam, intake, and other small accessories? if you guys think that i would be better off with a short or long block where should i buy it? Also what kind of HP and torque would i be able to build with $2000?
thanks again guys

[This message has been edited by Tom Ziokowski (edited 10-22-2000).]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Tom,

If I was you I would check out the G.M. dealer. $2000.00 will only afford you a mostly stock engine, but anything you buy from G.M. will be a good foundation engine to do more to later.I will speak from experience and if you don't have anyone to help or advise you the best thing to do is to buy a new engine from G.M.

Be careful buying someones rebuilt short/or long block. It in fact will be much cheaper,but most rebuilt engines have a hard time running out of warrenty under normal conditions,not to mention the hard run you intend to give it. So--- here is the deal buy a stock G.M. engine for now or buy the cheaper rebuilt stuff that will end up being more expensive in the long run after you install one or two or more of them to get a good one.

Not all rebuilt engines are junk but I will say this the odds just aren't there.

I'm not just being negative it's just that I've been there, done that and have many tee shirts.

Larry

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks larry. i was thinking of buying a short block from speed-o-motive or a place like that and putting vortec heads, eldlebrock intake, a holley(i know someone that will rebuild it for me) and a comp cam and some headers, but i guess that i won't do that anymore. third idea: i don't have a camaro now(i sold my 87) but am looking for another one. should i just buy a car with a good running engine and just put some bolt-on parts that i can use later on another rebuild? the only reason that i wanted to buy a car with out an engine was that i could afford a body that was in better condition.
thanks again guys

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey,
I'm 18 too, I just built a motor for my 68. Very low budget, but if you do decide to build a motor, do yourself a favor and buy desktop dyno for like 50 bucks.I have a nice stout 350 but I should have gotten that because my engine could be a lot stronger than it is. i'm going with vortecs too eventually when I have the money. Feel free to email me if you want to. I built my engine on my own too, [email protected]
good luck,
Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts