Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, this is a hard one to understand. I just finished rebuilding a 350 700010 block and left it mainly stock. It is backed up by a Munsie 4 speed and everything seems to work smoothly. The problem I'm having is after about 8 miles the engine shuts off and wont start for about 15 minutes. I have taken the same rout twice and it has shut off at the same location almost to the foot.

I'm happy with the way it runs and shifts but this one has me scratching my head. Does anyone have any idea?

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
What kind of ignition do you have? HEI? Stock?

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
When you wired it up did you replace the resistance wire from the firewall to the distributor? It's a (I believe) pink wire that goes from the firewall to the distributor to power it. Originally it went to the coil. This wire increases in resistance as it heats up and lowers the voltage to the coil to protect the points after warm up. You need to replace it with an appropriately sized non-resistance wire when going to HEI.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a red and white wire in the same plug that goes to the Dist. and another brown wire with its own plug for the tach. next to that one. There is a third plug that is closer to the cap under the other two and wider but I don't know the colors. Which one of the 3 plugs do you think it will be? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The red and white wires I had mentioned before are really pink and yellow. The pink wire is thicker than the yellow one so has it already been replaced or should I go ahead and replace it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts