Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 69 Z that currently has a 350 crank in a 3970010 block. The engine currently has correct dated, fresh 302 heads, intake and carb.

I need a new cam due to worn lobes on three cylinders. While I'm at it, I'm thinking of putting in an 1178 crank vs the 350 steel one.

I'll keep the mechanical valvetrain and replace up the rods, lifters, rockers, etc. as part of the cam fix.

There is currently an 11" flywheel and clutch in the car. It has an 8" balancer up front. O rods are present.

What else will need to be considered before I decide to go back to the 1178?

I would think I need to go back to the 10.5" clutch setup, verify correct balancer. Anything else?

I have a great engine guy and machinst to do it all who I'm sure has these answers, but would like to hear from the experts here too.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
pistons are all thats comin to me at the moment... ( HIC_UP) :D

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
pistons and balancing. it's that simple.
everything else will work- but why go from the 350 you have no back to a 302? i think you will probably realize how nice the torque of the 350 is compared to the 302 once you get it all back together.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
pistons and balancing. it's that simple.
everything else will work- but why go from the 350 you have no back to a 302? i think you will probably realize how nice the torque of the 350 is compared to the 302 once you get it all back together.
ill take a quick reving 302 over a 350 any day

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Oh, btw, you will need a large journal 302 forged crank if you don't have one already! And I'm afraid one might border on being rare as "hens teeth"???

And I have a good small journal forged 302 crank out in the garage now for my next junk301 engine!

pdq67

·
Registered
442 Posts
just buy an eagle 4340 crank,some scat or eagle rods,KB or wiseco pistons and put all the old stuff on ebay for sale.
Richard:beers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts