Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to adjust the lash to spec, without having a cam card, and without the engine running...seem to me adjusting while the motor is running would make quite a mess!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
By all means..you can set the lash non running with a mechanical cam.
As for the lash clearance without a card..you would need to pull the cam and hope a grind # is stamped on the end.
Not knowing for sure..intake .020",exhaust.022" with iron heads and block and then run lash loops from there.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
By all means..you can set the lash non running with a mechanical cam.
As for the lash clearance without a card..you would need to pull the cam and hope a grind # is stamped on the end.
Not knowing for sure..intake .020",exhaust.022" with iron heads and block and then run lash loops from there.
X2..... On a solid cam its pretty easy but take your time and do one at a time... Also you can check each valve lash and note it down, once you finish then look for the tightest lash on the intake vrs the exhaust and go with that which will differ cold vrs hot and it all depends on iron or aluminum heads and block...

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...so how do you set the lash?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how often should I have to adjust the lash?

Also, is there any sure-fire way to know if I have a solid or hydraulic cam? My springs are very large, (thich), which is why someone told me they assume it is a mechanical cam...

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
how often should I have to adjust the lash?

Also, is there any sure-fire way to know if I have a solid or hydraulic cam? My springs are very large, (thick), which is why someone told me they assume it is a mechanical cam...
One way to check if they are solid or hydraulic is when you are ready to check valve lash and there is none then its most likely hydraulic but if you have say .020 then its a solid cam.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lash is adjusted, and th emotor running better than ever...who'd thumnk it...

I hav enot put many miles at all on this motor since it was dropped in (came form another car), so I was not even sure I had solid lifters, but I sure enough do!

Anyway, how often should I expect to have to make lash adjustments on the solid cam?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts