Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys... I'm building a 383 and need an oil pan on it for my 67 camaro.
engine specs:
world products sportsman II heads 64 cc (ported to flow 265 cfm in/ and 190 cfm ex.
XR274R Solid Roller camshaft
rpm air gap intake ( also have victor jr. if it will run better)
eagle competition 11:1 srp piston completely forged rot assembly w/ h beam rods 6" rods
speed demon 750 carb w/ mech secondaries

Two questions:

1. HP estimates?

2. I need an oil pan that I plan to add (if it doesn't already have one) a windage tray and a crank scraper to. What oil pans are you guys using w/ these combos (preferably 6 or 7 qt. ) and on a BUDGET! so nothing like 250+ if possibly..

Thanks a bunch guys, and the motor is just about to start the buildup so any input or suggestions are welcome, as always!!!

Artie

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
I am almost where you are on this, I plan to use my 6 qt Moroso pan but will be adding the tray or diamond screen. Crank is profiled or wedge cut but I think I may still use one. I hope it will work.

As for your cam,, this is the cam that I was thinking about going to, down from my current XR282hr. I talked to Comp about it and the tech recommended I stay where I was . Any reason why you selected the XR274? My dyno sim shows this cam to track the 282 curves but 274 was higher in torque up to a point where the curves overlaid eachother.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I will be driving it a lot on the street... and according to comp, this 274 will be more reliable on the street, less stressful on the valve train, and help a little with compression...

Also, my XR274R is a solid roller, as your XR282HR is a hyd. roller.... mine solid will create more power

The XR282HR cuts out at 5800 rpms, which is too low for what I want... It also is only at 520 lift.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm using a Hamburger 7qt small block oilpan. It's very nice, great ground clearance.

I think it retails for around 199.00

Maybe threres some cheaper alternatives? Some others will chime in.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is the pan my builder recommended for my 383 build which hopefully will be going up on the dyno in a week or so. It is made by Champ Oil Pans, they have a website if you want to check it out.

STYLE: CP60LT
Part No. Application
CP60Lt 57-75 lefthand dipstick $162.06

This is a street drag race pan. This pan is a "T" sump style pan 8" Deep. It has 1 large 6" trapdoor and 1 crank scraper. The CP60's should nearly fit all chassis and header combinations. The CP60LT has a removable horsepower saving louvered windage tray. It is a 7 qt. system including the filter.

Tom

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Well, I will be driving it a lot on the street... and according to comp, this 274 will be more reliable on the street, less stressful on the valve train, and help a little with compression...

Also, my XR274R is a solid roller, as your XR282HR is a hyd. roller.... mine solid will create more power

The XR282HR cuts out at 5800 rpms, which is too low for what I want... It also is only at 520 lift.
Either way , I am in line for a new cam as I lost the fuel pump lobe on this hydra roller, maybe to compensate for the rpm fall off, I may move the the XR 286, I haven't got into cam vs. rod interference yet but dont expect to as these Compstar rods are profiled for large base circle cams. Wait and see.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
This is the pan my builder recommended for my 383 build which hopefully will be going up on the dyno in a week or so. It is made by Champ Oil Pans, they have a website if you want to check it out.

STYLE: CP60LT
Part No. Application
CP60Lt 57-75 lefthand dipstick $162.06

This is a street drag race pan. This pan is a "T" sump style pan 8" Deep. It has 1 large 6" trapdoor and 1 crank scraper. The CP60's should nearly fit all chassis and header combinations. The CP60LT has a removable horsepower saving louvered windage tray. It is a 7 qt. system including the filter.

Tom
Looking at Champ pans, can you tell me if you have 4 bolt mains and does the stroker crank clear this windge tray? Is it louvered plate or wire mesh bolted to pan? They look good, I am looking at the 50LT pan. Thanks

·
Registered
630 Posts
Don,

Haven't actually laid my eyes on the pan yet other the the pics on the website but I will tomorrow, making a trip to see the progress on my 383. I am going on my builders recommendation here and he has used this pan many times before and says it is excellent for street/strip apps. My 383 will be based on a Gen1 4bolt studded block running a Scat 4340 forged 3.750 stroke std weight crank w/ Scat Pro Comp 4340 7/16 stroker profiled rods.

Tom

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
In my opinion this is the best small block pan for the money. :thumbsup:Great features like windage screen, crank scraper trap door, ect... It will clear 3.75" stroke crank with stock and most any aftermarket rods. :yes:Although I do know the 3.85" stroke and eagle H-beams just start to rub. I ran this pan for years and was very happy. Unfortunately it won't clear my 427 set up. :sad:

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Thanks Harley, Tom, information is useful. I currently have a Moroso 6 qt pan and stock windage . If I can get away from running the adjustable main studs and no attached tray, that would allow me to run reg ARP studs. The windage tray attached to the pan and the trap door makes a better buy. I am not there yet but everything is coming together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts