Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My piston exploded on my 383 in my garage when i was revving it to 6 grand. My cams float is around 7500. There is no piston just rings it scraped up my wall a little and it sent chunks of piston in all 8 cylinders. It also bent three valves that i just did a quick check on. There was also a mark on another piston from a valve but no detonation.

The baby only had 300 miles. The heads were also shaved .020 and the deck clearance was 0. Do you know what could cause this?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Tell us EVERYTHING you know about the engine.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
free revving to 6k in the garage? why?
Thats what i'm thinking.........
How did it send chunks of pistons in all 8 cylinders when the head seals off the other cylinders, the only way it could have sent them into the other cylinders from the bottom, which I do not think would do much damage.
can you post pics.

·
Banned
938 Posts
How did it send chunks of pistons in all 8 cylinders when the head seals off the other cylinders, the only way it could have sent them into the other cylinders from the bottom, which I do not think would do much damage.
can you post pics.
The peices of the broken piston will go up through the intake to the other cylinders.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Do you know what could cause this?
Here is your awnser.........

My piston exploded on my 383 in my garage when i was revving it to 6 grand.
Please tell me this is a joke. Why would you rev it that high? I am assuming it was in nutral since it's in your garage.

All I can say is wow.

WE NEED PICTURES!

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Free revving a motor like that is just asking for trouble. 7500rpm under load is allot easier on it that 6k unloaded.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yesterday I ran really fast into the wall. Then my nose hurt really bad and blood started coming out. Not sure why?

Just messing with ya.
Just seems like a bad idea to wind up a motor like that..

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
This was the reason I asked long ago, why someone would rev a 302 on the dyno to 7k , unloaded.
0 deck?, wonder what quench was. And floated valves to 7500 in the garage too? :eek:

Would it really detonate in the garage?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I bet it make a god-awful sound.

If it happened to me, I’d need to replace the motor and the driver’s seat upholstery.

·
Registered
200 Posts
a little more history.....
Well that explains alot. Definitely would check clearances on next rebuild.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Oh my gosh.......You guys are being quite mean! :sad:

I must say though....some of these posts are funny as hell.:thumbsup:

I had an old fart years ago grab my tunnel ram linkage and tried to determine for me at what RPM's my valves would float. He is no longer with us.

The only thing better than a 6K neutral rev is to put it in gear......then post "why did my drivetrain break?".

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
This is proof people. There is no such thing as "common" sense......

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Here is your awnser.........

Please tell me this is a joke. Why would you rev it that high? I am assuming it was in nutral since it's in your garage.

All I can say is wow.

WE NEED PICTURES!
Yesterday I ran really fast into the wall. Then my nose hurt really bad and blood started coming out. Not sure why?

Just messing with ya.
Just seems like a bad idea to wind up a motor like that..
This is proof people. There is no such thing as "common" sense......
Come on guys, like yall ain't never stomped it to the floor in neutral and revved it to the sky!! Stop being so hard on him. His motor just happened to blow up while doing this.
If it makes you feel any better RadCannon, I broke a crank in half free reving a 400 pontiac engine to 6500 that I slotted the flywheel torque conv holes because they wouldnt line up!!:clonk:lol. I learned from this mistake, hope you do too. lol

1 - 20 of 42 Posts