Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,

I just installed a 383 stroker motor build by Prestige Motorsports out of North Carolina. I have a 1967 Camaro RS/SS which was originally a 4spd car but I recently converted to a T56 six speed magnum. The conversion went pretty well. In fact, I just fired the car up today and it sounds fantastic!

I used this forum to solve my 12 volt RUN requirement for my electronic choke and MSD box.

I have a couple of questions related to the Eldebrock performer RPM airgap intake manifold and Quick Fuel 750 double pumper I have on my engine.

1) It appears that my original air cleaner; which fits a holly just fine, does not fit onto this carburetor. I have purchased a K&N Xtreme air cleaner but am worried it might not fit under my SS hood.

2) I can't use the vacuum fitting on the intake because the secondary hardware sits right over it. I tried to tie the power break booster and PCV together but my brakes feel lethargic! Any suggestions? I was hoping that if I cut the tabs off my original air cleaner it would fit the new carb and give me more clearance to add a 1/2 plate to the base of the carb so I can utilize the vacuum port on the intake.

Any help appreciated.

BTW - my motor dyno showed 405 ft-lbs torque at 3200 rpm, and climed to 480 at 5900 rpm. HP's maxed out at 475. Driving it today, I could tell a big difference from the original motor. Fun!

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Use the factory GM low profile drop down base to keep the air cleaner away from the hood. Using the standard height filter and lid will help also.

As for the vac fitting, it was just discussed last week. Do a search. The Edlebrock fitting will work but I bought my fitting at Lowes and milled the top down to clear the carb bowls and insulater plate. I added a street tee and supplied my booster and headlamp doors vacumn.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
T56 swap for me;
Trans was $1400, custom bellhousing $900-ish ( custom cut from my design-so I cud use stock replacement parts in-case I had to replace something on the road away from home. I wouldn't have to order parts and haul the car anywhere.), a hydraulic T/O bearing-a design using a combo of peterbuilt (Self adjusting) but on a smaller scale for my car was around $300-ish, and I used a hays clutch knowing I needed about 3K of pressure plate pressure.
All together total was under $2K. WELL WORTH IT!! I cruise at 70 around 1450-1600 with a
29" tire and I believe its a 3.23 rear. 445hp 383 gets 17mpg with my homebuilt 750DP.

You come up with the trans & Ill put together a kit with the bellhousing if you want. You can use stock or aftermarket parts with this bellhousing. Ive already done it. Doesn't matter internal or external...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts