Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for the engine experts. Below is what I am told are the specs on the engine in my 68 camaro. Seems like low output to me for a 383, but I'm just learning.

383 / 347 max hp / 415 max torque
flat top pistons / 10.5:1 compression
elgin cam #232H / 220 duration @ 50 / 270 overall / 108 centerline
world sportsman 2 heads / 220 cc runner / 64 cc chamber
edelbrock performer rpm intake
edelbrock 600 carb

Do the above specs seem correct? I would like to get 400 to 450 hp. Can I get more horsepower by changing the top end? Do I need to change the cam? Total rebuild? The car has a M20 4sp with 355 gears.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're correct the heads are 200 cc. Typo on my part.

Any suggestions? I figure the carb was on the small side.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Carb is way to small!! Maybe at a least 750???.. needs a bigger cam too!.how about 274h??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're correct the heads are 200 cc. Typo on my part.

Any suggestions? I figure the carb was on the small side.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A 650-750 is great on a 383 untill you start seeing 7000-
Those heads are not the greatest but they don't just plain suck either-with some porting they can really perk up
I think a bit bigger cam and a carb swap is the best things to look at
The E rpm is a great manifold
In my daily driver 383 I run a 282/288 hyd roller-it idles good and would run power brakes as long as your tune up is right
If it were my car a modern cam in the 276-lower 280's range and a 650-750 carb(holley or demon double pumper for me)
Thats less than a grand and 400 hp is easy-with some stronger heads or porting your own 450+hp and even more tq with out seeing 6000 rpm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of the new holley street avengers or ultra double pumpers. Is changing the cam something a novice (but not and idiot) can do? Also if I upgraded to some aluminum heads what would be your recommendation(s) in an econimcal-mid price range?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not impressed with the avenger's but the ultra DP's are interesting-one in the 650 range would be great on a 383
I pretty much only mess with Holley hp's and 477?'s and the Demons carbs
I would start with the carb as it is easy and not painfull spendy-but It won't make a huge gain unless the 600 EDDY is WAY of kilter
A cam swap is not to bad unless you could have cam to rod clearance issues and 383's have those issues-you can get a reduced base cam but even that can be an issue depending on what rod your running
Some new heads would help but the world's are not so weak that it will be cheap to beat them
If your compression is really 10.5-1 with the smallish cam and iron heads you should keep an ear out for pinging/detonation and AL heads would help that as would a bigger cam

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Here is my opinion...

600 CFM is too small for a 383. I would look at a 750 CFM.

The heads that you have should be fine.

The cam is a little too small for a 383. I would look at about 280ish for duration.

Good luck !

·
19,802 Posts
Get a 650-750 Holley carb and a 280H Compcam (or simular = [email protected]) While the intake is off throw on an Airgap manifold..... I think you'll be real happy.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
You didn't say if those numbers were at the wheels or at the crank. If at the wheels, those are not bad numbers. If at the crank, that's pretty pathetic for a 383.

If it's at the wheels, to get your power numbers at the motor do the math. I don't know what average drivetrain and accessory loss is but:

For 20% drivetrain loss, divide numbers by 0.8: 434hp, 519 tq

For 15% drivetrain loss, divide numbers by 0.85: 408hp, 488 tq

By the way, I'm going fuel injected and will be taking off a 670 Holley Street Avenger with less than a thousand miles on it pretty soon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You didn't say if those numbers were at the wheels or at the crank. If at the wheels, those are not bad numbers. If at the crank, that's pretty pathetic for a 383.

If it's at the wheels, to get your power numbers at the motor do the math. I don't know what average drivetrain and accessory loss is but:

For 20% drivetrain loss, divide numbers by 0.8: 434hp, 519 tq

For 15% drivetrain loss, divide numbers by 0.85: 408hp, 488 tq

By the way, I'm going fuel injected and will be taking off a 670 Holley Street Avenger with less than a thousand miles on it pretty soon.
Just in case he's not interested.. I'd be interested in that carb....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts