Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be putting a 383 in my 67 and i want to run exhaust manifolds . my question is will manifolds damage my engine

·
Gold Lifetime Member
403 Posts
Got to believe if exhaust manifolds would damage an engine the car makers would have stopped using them many years ago. Exhaust manifolds are not as efficient as headers and that is why most non original car owners use headers.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
383's came stock with cast iron manifolds.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Manifolds are quieter too.

Old ones that have warped can be a PITA to bolt up. Not all the bolts will start. Just put a couple bolts in and start it up for a couple minutes, as it warms up and expands you can get the other bolts in. Then shut it off and put the gaskets and tighten it down. There is also a tool that un-distorts manifolds but the heat trick is easier.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
G.M. made a replacement 383 for trucks, which would replace the 350 if they went out during warranty...
I'm betting he means mopar 383's came stock with manifolds....

·
Registered
648 Posts
GM does not replace any 350 with a 383 EVER, #1 reason is money and #2 because that particular 383 crate motor does not meat the EPA requirements for the vehicle. That is why it states to install in pre 78 vehicle ONLY. Sorry to point it out but you are wrong!

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
G.M. made a replacement 383 for trucks, which would replace the 350 if they went out during warranty...
I'm betting he means mopar 383's came stock with manifolds....
This is not apples to apples comparison on cast iron headers on these two motors. The 383 had a much better performace manifold. They took a shot upwards before going into pipes, pretty much like the factory race wedge motor.
Didn't mean to hijack the post.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
383's came stock with cast iron manifolds.
LOL!!! I don't think anybody got it!! :D

Think about this for a second guys. When the engine that you built your 383 out of came from the factory, did it have manifolds on it?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Even the factory 383's came stock with cast iron manifolds. Mine also came with 6.358" connecting rods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts