Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. Does anyone know Where I can get engine pulleys for a 1968 camaro with a BB 396???:confused:

Some of you may already know that im converting my 68 camaro from a small block 307 to a big block 396...

As far as motor belt pulleys, and pulley brackets, I have none for a 396 BB for my 68. :(

I was wondering if you guys know if I "have to" run pulleys from the year 1967-68 camaro from what the catalog of Classic Industires says. In their catalog, the pulleys are pretty expensive.

Im trying to go for the best economical price, and the pulleys for a 68 are almost double the price of pulleys for a 69 camaro.:eek:

I have not purchased a water pump yet. I plan on running the alternator, water pump, and power steering only. No AC.

What do you guys think I shoud do???

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Joe -

It is a little bit of a "pick your poison" kind of deal.

If you want to stick with an OE type setup, installing a 69-up style long water pump will require you to get the 69-up alternator brackets for the passenger side alt. If you have a 68 style driver side alt now, you'll have to lengthen the wires to move it over.

A 69 BB power steering pump and bracket set would also be required, and the 69 BB power steering pump is specific for the application. It costs about $170 for a reman unit.

The plus is that the pulleys are definitely cheaper. I bought mine from Ausley's, because the Chevelle BB cars used the same pulleys. I think I was right around $100 for all three pulleys (2-groove crank, single groove WP and PS).

If you stick with the 68 short WP setup, the pulleys might cost more, but the PS pump was common to all V8 models and is pretty cheap ($60 or so for a reman unit).

So it really depends on what parts you have now. Certain brackets and pieces are more expensive for one setup vs the other, so depending on what you already have, you can add up what you need and go from there.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I just got done dealing with this very issue. The biggest problem is that the BBC short pump pulleys are VERY expensive is you are looking for OEM. I converted my BBC to a long pump because I was adding PS and I think it balances out the engine compartment better.

I sold my short pump on ebay for $106, which was enough to pay for my new long pump and pulleys. I then sold my 3 groove crank pulley only and got $113 for it (if you can believe that)!!!! I got just over $113 for my 2 piece alternator bracket set (just because it was OE) to the same guy and bought new chrome stuff for $20 which looks and works perfect. I was amazed!!! If you aren't building, or don't have a "numbers" car, I'd convert to a long pump and sell your old stuff if it's original. If you don't have PS, it's probably a waste of time just to move the alt from drivers side to pass.

The spend short pump that does well on Eba is casting number 3856284. They bring between $100 and $150 because they were used on 396 Camaros and 427 Vettes. Hope this helps.

P.S. Small block short water pump pulleys will work perfect on BBC's for both the crank and pump it's self. The center of the crank pulley is smaller, so it will fit the balancer no problem. I've been running this by mistake on my 396 in my '68 with no issues at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information and input guys. :)

The car orignially had power steering and I still have the PWR steering connected. With that orinigal small block 307 power steering unit work with a BB 396 setup?

I might just stick with the short water pump set up like it was orinigal on a 68.. I forgot about all those minor things like wiring for altenators and power steering setups.

Where would be the cheapest place to find BB pulleys for a 1968 camaro short water pump?

Any ideas guys???

·
Registered
42 Posts
It has been over a year since I went through the pulley thing but I ended up getting the March set. I was told that I could get pulleys for the Chevy 454 trucks that came out in the 90's. After totalling all that up, it was just a few bucks more for the March set which were aluminum and clear coated. I know this isn't the most economical but it certainly was the easiest. They look awesome too! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.