Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 396 BB with less than 150 miles, runs great until the water temp hits 195. Then she runs rough and will stall at traffic lights. I have a speed demon 650 carb, holley 12-454-11 fuel pump, could this be the timeing or carb settings? I will be glad to add more information if I can answer tem. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
What type of choke does it have ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the demon carb has an elec choke, but it apperas to be wire tid open. just bought the car.

·
Registered
726 Posts
lots of questions,
does it restart ok?
if it hard restart then have someone help you
check for spark/fuel....have you done compression test
to see if there is water getting into cylinders? Have you checked fuel lines might be to close to exhaust causing
vaper lock? Here in arizona we are sometimes challenged
with heat and poor running engines when its 107 outside those poor cars have hard times jay

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is the coil getting hot and cutting out, float levels too low or sticking needles in carb, or floats too high and flooding, drawing fuel thru the boosters at idle, metering blocks dirty in carb, is the gas cap vented? Just a few quick ideas.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.11 posi. x66 coupe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will work on these today. What does a "vented " gas cap prevent?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Most engines require a "vented" gas cap, that allows air into the gas tank. If it is not vented a vacuum is created and fuel will not flow. It is kind of like a beer can... if you punch a hole in the bottom of it, you can drink it a lot faster! :)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Another Consideration - It takes a BBC 20 minutes before reaching operating TEMP and the reason why I start moving and hope it warms up enough to trip the thermostat before I get to where I'm going; other words, you will spend more fuel then it takes to get there just waiting for the "BEAST" to wake up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I will try and place some type of heat shield around or over the fuel line on the frame rail. the headers are about half an inch from the fuel line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts