Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done with the rebuild on my Dad's 1969 Camro with a supercharged 396. When we started it up it ran fine. Got it back to the house after a short drive and tried to back it into the garage. As soon as he put it in reverse the was a loud squealing noise. We initially thought it was coming from the old turbo 700. Had a new one built, replaced the flex plate and torque converter. Started it up and put it in reverse and the squealing returned. It is definitely not a belt squeal as it is coming from behind the engine. The only other thing I saw is it might be the rear main seal rubbing on the crank. The engine was bought used with only 2,000 miles on the rebuild. HELP!!!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Let off the throttle. It's your tires! I would have said it's coming from the tranny too if it starts as soon as you put it in gear. Did you replace or reuse your torque converter?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but check yer motor mounts and yer tranny mount.

Sometimes engageing in reverse can move things a bit differant than going forward, maybe in doing so, it's causing something to be off a lil to make a squeal??

Don't know, just shooting ideas???

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Does it squeal when you put it in reverse or when you put a load on it in reverse? Here's my thoughts; loose engine to transmission, flexplate, or torque converter bolts. When loading the drivetrain in reverse everything moves the opposite direction look for accessories, balancer, fan, pulleys rubbing. Check to make sure your valve cover isn't hitting your wiper motor or brake booster.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Make sure that your transmission cover is not contacting the flywheel's ring gear. Just take it off to test it. When I installed a plastic cover it squealed ! So, I had to shim the cover down with washers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts